password only

eydaimon
2009-09-04
2013-05-30
  • eydaimon

eydaimon - 2009-09-04

The default seems to be that anyone can just login and search for people. They can't click names to get information, but they can still search around. Is it possible to configure the application so you need to log in to be able to do anything at all?

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2009-09-04

Yes.  In the privacy settings, you can restrict all site access to logged-in users.

However, remember that this will block search engines from indexing your site.

• eydaimon

eydaimon - 2009-09-04

Can you tell me how to navigate to these settings? I can't seem to find them.

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2009-09-04

EYDaimon - Looks like you need to navigate about your site a bit and become familiar with administrative options.

From the Portal icon in the header > select
      Manage GEDCOMS and edit privacy.
      In EDIT GEDCOM configuration file, select Access and Privacy, then select ENABLE PRIVACY - YES
      Just below that line (2 below), REQUIRE VISITOR REGISTRATION. Commonly set to NO, but if you wish to completely close your site to all visitors, select YES.

Manage other options for display privacy by navigating to the PRIVACY FILE > Edit
      Review your options there.

Save any changes.
      -Stephen

• eydaimon

eydaimon - 2009-09-04

Stephen,

First, thank you for explaining how to navigate the settings.

Second, let me address your suggestions about navigating the site and becoming familiar.
        I spent a fair bit of time playing around with the various settings trying to find what I was looking fore before resorting to asking for help. I went through all the menus I thought were sensible but I have to confess, I didn't even see this edit. As user feedback on the interface, I would like to offer that it's unintuitive and very hard to find the settings. The configuration and how to set the software up feels haphazard at best.  Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help if you'd like me to expand on this further or offer suggestions.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks