Record merging and favorites

Veit
2010-01-16
2013-05-30
  • Veit

Veit - 2010-01-16

I have done a merging of some records and found some invalid favorites on the records merged from.
    It seems there is no function to update the favorites with the merge. Is this right?

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2010-01-16

We also need to consider the IDs linked to users, gedcom root IDs, etc.

• Mark Hattam

Mark Hattam - 2010-01-16

And how to re-direct Search engine result hits to the single merged record … rather than just giving the "no such record" text for deleted partner record. But if we're not careful we'll have so much examination of incoming URLs that it'll slow access.

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2010-01-16

Veit
    Just a question about procedure. Why would the original Favorite INDI-ID number be changed in a merge? Why wouldn't you select the one that was presented as a favorite to be the one retained?  

I do wholeheartedly agree that we need a mechanism for modifying/interfacing with favorites, as currently you can't change you 'extra note/description' without a direct SQL edit or a delete and add, as there is no GUI.  But the merge function lets you select the INDI number to retain, and while I usually select the lowest, it is not required. Its highly unlikely that both to-be-merged INDI's or FAM recrords are designated as favorites, so why not keep the one that is?  
    -Stephen

• Veit

Veit - 2010-01-16

Seem to be a misunderstanding. I don't speak from external URL's, but from the internal Favorites, that are not workíng anymore for records merged from. We also change other referencing data, but seem to have forgotten some internal data.

This is completely different from handling external access to outdated URL's.

• Anonymous - 2010-01-16

Stephen

Why wouldn't you select the one that was presented as a favorite to be the one retained?

What about user favourites? The admin doing the merge may not even be aware that a user had used one of the two as a favourite.

Nigel

• Veit

Veit - 2010-01-16

Stephen,
    why do you think its highly unlikely that both to-be-merged INDI's or FAM recrords are designated as favorites?

I have 500 users and only about 200 favorites at all. One user has some material for his ggparents and their parents, another user the same. They both make favorites for. After some time we found that the ggmother of one and ggfather of the other are siblings. So I have to merge the parents and the family. As a result the favorites of one of my users are lost.

This happens not very often, but it happened.

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2010-01-16

Thanks, as I said, we do need a GUI to manage favorites (I had previously submitted an RFE for this). Highly unlikely for me as with over 350 users, I only have 5 of them who have even one favorite selected, so its the rare occasion that it would be an issue, but nonetheless, we should be repairing this feature. Stephen

• Veit

Veit - 2010-01-16

I included favorites in the merge process with svn 6753.

• Laie Techie

Laie Techie - 2010-01-17

As for search engines, we can create a separate table with fields for the gedcom file, the old record id, and the new record id. If someone requests a non-existent record, do a simple query in the database table and send a redirect with a 301 status (permanent move). If the record isn't found, simply show the current record not found screen.

Along a similar vein, should we also check for favorites when deleting records?