Procedural step

Anonymous
2009-10-31
2013-05-30
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Anonymous - 2009-10-31

To avoid merging, I have been hand typing in a lot of families.  I seem to be unable to find a flow from adding one person to the next…

I add the first individual, and then want to add a wife, son, daughter, etc.  Seems I have to close the add screen, then open the screen I found them on, the click on the person, then chose close relationship, then pick the relationship, add the new person, repeat the whole process again…

Seems there should be a way to go from a connected person to a connected person without several screens between….

Seems that after I entered father, I could click (save and add wife) and get a new screen into which I add her data and their marriage info.  Then I should get a choice (save and add son or daughter) or two buttons (save and add son) or (save and add daughter).  I think having a hand full of (save and add X) options would give me a way to go from adding one person to the next.  I can't find a flow that doesn't involve going through multiple screens to add connected people?

Am I missing something in the workflow?  Is there a tutorial or step by step instruction somewhere, or is that as good as it gets and I didn't miss something obvious?

Thanks,

Lew

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2009-10-31

Lew 
    The process of adding and then properly linking INDI's to others (creating and/or adding to FAM units) is really quite complicated - not as easy a process as you would believe. Take a look at the code to see the thousands of lines written to handle each situation.  AFAIK, there is no system existing that does as you ask, however PGV done many things to speed up entry of sizable amounts of data, particularly by a trusted person. 

The SAVE AND VIEW RECORD button is the key to navigating quickly to the place you need to be to expand on an individual. Using CLOSE RELATIVES tab, create the FAM unit by adding the spouse, then navigate to the FAM record itself and adding multiple children, with sourcing and data, is much faster.  All this is enhanced when you select AUTO-APPROVE for yourself or other trusted entry users. 

Hope this helps. We add about 100 persons per day and find it as fast or faster than any other genealogy software we know, and the only one that encourages collaborative entries by multiple users at the same time.   
    -Stephen

• Anonymous - 2009-10-31

The key issue is about how much data you want to add at the same time as you add the person. I try to follow a rule of ALWAYS including source references for each event, so adding families is quite a complex process, but worth the effort in the long run.

If thats not important to you, have you tried the **Quick Update** option? That allows the addition of multiple family members on one screen. I don't use it, don't even have it enabled, and don''t usually recommend it for the very reason that it doesn't have options for adding complex source references, notes etc.

If you have it enabled (its an option on the GEDCOM config settings), you'll find it under the "Other" menu options on the INDI (and FAM I think) pages.

• Anonymous - 2009-10-31

Just another thought….

Once you have parents, the quickest way to add children is to use the Family page, NOT the Close Relatives tab. Adding them there always returns you to the same page after each one. If I have a lot of children to add, all with (say) similar birth and baptism details (same place, just different dates) I often add them quickly with nothing other than their name; re-open each one in a new tab (if your browser allows it), then use simple copy & paste in the raw GEDCOM edit screen, followed by the minor date changes required. That way I can be working on one child while the browser is still refreshing the screen after the previous one.

• Anonymous - 2009-11-03

OKBIGKID,

One of the people I am trying to get tree help with uses GENI.COM.  So simple a 1st grader can do it.  You add a person and then around the person are arrows for adding parents, sisters, brothers, etc.  Very simple to go from family member to family member by clicking on an arrow that has the type of relationship chosen.

I just added a new record and didn't have a SAVE AND VIEW option.  Perhaps this isn't an automatic option and I don't have it enabled.  I had a SAVE and NEW RECORD or SAVE, but not a SAVE and VIEW option?  Since her screen "dissapeared", I had to do a search for the new person to add other links to her?

Likewise, after searching for the person I just entered, I found her, used "close relatives" to add her husband, but that didn't give me a family record, or at least Family didn't appear as a tab?  From what you said, it seemed as soon as I added a person to the previous person, it would created a family record I could then use to add their children?

After I added their son, I then wanted to add his wife and their family, but had to go back to close relatives again, highlight the son as the new person, then click close relatives again to add a wife to his record.

Kiwi,

I already had Quick Update option enabled, but don't see where I use it?

Obviously a goal here to be able to add data as quick as possible with the fewest keystrokes.  Let me explain another annoyance.

1.  I have the screen set up with two open windows.  The left window is the tree or web page I am getting the new information from, the right windows it the PGV screen.

2.  When I click on the option to add someone, it pops open the Edit screen.  However the Edit screen opens on the left side of the screen, covering up the data I am trying to read and copy or enter into the edit screen.  This makes me move the edit screen to the right to open up the left screen.

3.  After entering the data, you hit the save button, then you have to hit the close button.  I am wondering why it doesn't save and close as there are no other options but to close the window?  If there was another step after save, other than close, I could understand it, but why doesn't it just save and close and go away?

4.  The other issue I have, and it just might be how the windows operate, but if I go to change the screen on the left side, the Edit screen that was on the top on the right side pops under the main screen on the right side.  I then have to minimize the right screen to see the edit screen, make the changes, hit save, close, and then maximize the screen to open it.

It just seems I spend more time opening, closing, and moving windows as I am actually spend entering data?

Is there a way to make the pop-up edit windows stay over the window it was opened from vs. popping up on the other side of the screen?

Is there a way to make the pop up edit window to stay on top?

Is there a way to change Save and then close, to Save and Close as one command?

Maybe I am just missing the big picture here and doing things entirely wrong, but the other offline and online programs I have used were all easier to move from person to person, from addition to addition easier than this.  I acknowledge half of my aggravation is the way the Windows work (where they pop up, keeping them there, etc.), but I still can't seem to go from person to person, who are all connected, adding new people.

Maybe I am the only idiot out here that doesn't get it, but maybe a tutorial with screen caps would be of a benefit.  I can't seem to get things to work the way you describe them.  You help makes it sound simple, but simple doesn't seem to work for me, only hard?

Thanks,

Lew

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2009-11-03

<<Is there a way to change Save and then close, to Save and Close as one command?>>

Gedcom config settings -> auto-close-edit-window -> yes

<<Is there a way to make the pop-up edit windows stay over the window it was opened from vs. popping up on the other side of the screen?>>

Yes - but not yet.  I've written something to remember the size/position of the various pop-up windows, but it needs a little more polish before I submit it.

At the moment, I just open PGV on the left, and ancestry/whatever on the right.

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2009-11-03

<<I just added a new record and didn't have a SAVE AND VIEW option.>>

When adding new indis, there are "save" and "save and go to new record" buttons.  Isn't this what you are asking for?

• Victor H.

Victor H. - 2009-11-03

Lew,

I do all my work on a 14" laptop, so in addition to Greg's suggestions, one little trick I use is to put my popup edit window over my source material (Ancestry, findagrave, etc.) window and resize it so I can see the source material beside or beneath it. That way I can keypunch stuff like census transcriptions quickly. This might not be relevant to your twin screen monitor, but who knows.

Victor

• Anonymous - 2009-11-03

Oh dear Lew, a lot of questions all in one go… Some have been addressed so I'll try and tackle a couple more:

<<…or at least Family didn't appear as a tab >>. There is no Family **Tab** as such, its a separate page. Look for clickable links that say "Family", or the headers above each family group on the right-hand "Family Navigator " panel.

<< I already had Quick Update option enabled, but don't see where I use it? >> I answered that originally. On the Individual page you have an "Other Options" box (near top-right). Under the Edit item is an option called Quick Update.

<< Obviously a goal here to be able to add data as quick as possible with the fewest keystrokes.  >>  In my view that is a very BAD goal. You will regret it later.Take a little longer and do it right first time.

If I can offer a little gentle advice…. slow down, learn your way around the system, read the answers you are given thoroughly, and use PGVs extensive Help screens and WIKI BEFORE deciding things don't work. There's a good reason PGV doesn't work like geni.com and other "populist" FH software - its designed to be a thorough and serious genealogy programme.

• Anonymous - 2009-11-05

>Gedcom config settings -> auto-close-edit-window -> yes

awesome…one less click…

>Yes - but not yet. I've written something to remember the size/position of the various pop-up windows, but it needs a little more polish before I submit it.

The only think I can think of is dual screens…and maybe even then the popup would go where it wants..someone suggested it pops up over the first window opened?

>>At the moment, I just open PGV on the left, and ancestry/whatever on the right.

that is a personal preference and I prefer the reverse…but that isn't the issue…I can't keep the popup on top of the PGV window, and I can't keep the popup from popping up on the source side.

thanks

• Anonymous - 2009-11-05

>>When adding new indis, there are "save" and "save and go to new record" buttons. Isn't this what you are asking for?

No, OKBIGKID said there was a save and view which I haven't encountered yet.  It still comes down to my inability to find a way to go immediately from entering son or daughter one to son or daughter two.  I just wrote a desired option in another string…a spreadsheet layout for entering a family…top left father, middle mother, top right marriage location date
    below that would be row after row with columns

sex, given name, birth date, location, death date, location, occupation

or something like that.  The trees I have been finding mostly have that info.  You would enter all the kids before ever hitting submit, or having to change pages, etc.  Once you have all the kids entered with the basics, if you have more info, you edit each record with the additonal data. Otherwise you go down to one of the kids, add his wife, and then bring up their spread sheet page to enter all their children, and so on.

I type all day, and wherever I can enter the most date with the least key and mouse strokes the better..

• Anonymous - 2009-11-05

Victor…I am using a 19" mainly…but I dont have twin screens, I have twin windows…sounds like your suggesting three windows on the screen?  All holding their position….edit, source, and pgv?

• Anonymous - 2009-11-05

Dear Kiwi,

OK, found the family thing…seemed like an item that there could be a tab for since it seems like a tab kind of thing, and it seems my tab bar is pretty open for an addition :)

Found the quick update..let me ask a question about that…seems like there are four tabs…do you have to hit SAVE per tab, or can you move from tab to tab and hit save once when done?  I hate changing screens for fear of losing previous entries?    This looks a lot more like what I am looking for.

>>In my view that is a very BAD goal. You will regret it later.Take a little longer and do it right first time.

I totally don't get your point here…  That is like saying type 10wpm if you can really type 90?  I don't understand what you mean about doing it right?   Isn't there only one goal with the tree the most date the most accurately?  Whatever allows you to type the most in the quickest should be ideal.  If I only have a few pieces of data per person, whatever way allows me to enter and move to the next person the better.  Yes, I am sure a lot of what I don't know is somwhere in a menu or on another page or another config setting…  I understand it is a complex product with many awesome options, but sometimes a person only needs 5% of the application's ability and having a way to do things quicker is more important than having options available you don't need, or don't need at the moment.

A lot of products that are very sophisticated have  rookie mode, a more advanced mode, and an expert mode.  The new person can easily enter data in a simple manner, to get them going.  When they are comfortable with that method and want to do more, they choose the next skill level and get new features, etc.

I am not implying skipping entering data.  If I have a baptism or something extra, I add it.  But for 95% of my entry, I only have the most basic items.  For that purpose, a GENI style interface is fine.

I guess another factor is to consider who is inputting the data.  We are talking about what I have had to go through just to get where I am now, literally days of working with the product.  Now I am trying to ask someone who is 75yo and technically challenged to enter data in PGV.  He barely manages on ancestry.com, and doesn't do that well there, and now I want him to maintain his family's tree on PGV…never happen.

Likewise, I found a family member on the other side of the world that has an unconnected tree…she was willing to enter her whole family's data into the database.  She found the signon screen, but had problems right away because a space in her logon name screwed it up.  Then I got her logon replaced and she signed in for the first time which I saw through the console.  She hadn't done anything that I could tell.  I wrote her back….  asked her why she hadn't added anything, she said:

"I filed it in the too hard basket"

She will never be back…

>>If I can offer a little gentle advice…. slow down, learn your way around the system, read the answers you are given thoroughly, and use PGVs extensive Help screens and WIKI BEFORE deciding things don't work. There's a good reason PGV doesn't work like geni.com and other "populist" FH software - its designed to be a thorough and serious genealogy programme.

If I was a full time genealogy person and could devote weeks and months of time learning the interface for a program, that would be great, but expecting multiple people to learn the interface to help on my tree is beyond expectation.

The 75yo guy I was talking about has 40 family members helping on his family tree on ancestry.com.  I haven't been able to find a single person to enter a single thing.  Two couldn't find the login screen, which I have made easier to find based on a suggestion.  Then they log in and are totally overwhelmed by the complexity of the interface and give up.

Maybe the goal for PGV was for single users who were willing to devote considerable time to learn the product for effective usage.  That isn't me and that isn't the people I expect to have the time to help.

Over the years I learned to program in a half dozen archaic languages, but I also worked with systems way ahead of their time.  But although I learned several languages, I never was a programmer and never liked programming.  As such, I really appreciate people who can make all those screens and make all the pieces connect in the background.

I also run a weather station, and most people have the same issues there…a very complex product capable of doing amazing things, but without help, you can never get it launched and running, and even after you get it running, you never run out of things to ask questions about.  Part of the problem is, there was never a good manual developed for the product, so every question relied on the author or helpers.

The best software I have used over the years were sophisticated programs, the best of their genre, but still had the ability for the neophyte to do simple things.

A person can sit down at a PC for the first time, open MS Word, and start typing, making things bold, add a paragraph, and simple things with the "simple" interface.    Likewise, they can sit down with Excel, and start making rows and columns of data…no help files, no tutors, no forums..opening the product and using it.  As they want to do more, they explore, but they can get started without aggravation winning out.

I love your work, dedication, and all the patience you must have to deal with people like me.

Thanks so much…

Lew

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2009-11-05

Lew 
    I dare say you've gone about this all wrong, and demonstrated your own shortcomings in determining what a good genealogical program should do and how it should encourage good record keeping.  Simply entering data is really pretty bogus. With each person you enter, you should be seeking the SOURCE data to support your entries if they were not provided with the materials you are obviously simply copying.  9 times of of 10, that data will be severely flawed and all you are doing is perpetuating and distributing erroneous information. Simply bad genealogy. 

We have over 350 cousins using our site. We have over 100 of those with regular data submissions (maybe 4-6 times per year). We have 10-15 truly productive users, who after careful hand-holding and slapping and retraining and reminding, are acccurate and thorough about 80% of the time. We have not ONE single user on auto-approve, except ourselves, so every bit of data entered is reviewed prior to adding it to our rather extensive (70,000 relatives) GEDCOM.  

How did we get that way?  How did we get so many helpful users?  We expanded on PGV's help system by adding what is now standard FAQ pages. We structured the site with easy to find LOGIN blocks and wrote instructions on how to access the FAQs and prolific help screens. We email our users whenever we notice a bad data-entry habit, explaining what we assume they are doing incorrectly and poiitely asking that they save us time and talent by doing it correctly.  None of this would be possible if we did not have an intimate knowledge of the program. If you can't find the FAM pages, you can't explain data entry and you probably haven't set up standards. Each genealogist has his or her preferences on what conventions they want, what sourcing they expect/demand, and what form data should take: places, media, notes, etc.  If you haven't communicated those standards, you'll never get assistance - but more likely the "too hard" reply.  

No, simply typing in names and dates from another source is NOT the goal. The goal should be to develop an accurate, well sourced and support set of data as complete as possible. Stop and smell the roses. When entering a family, take the time to look up several census reports to support the listing of children, dates and places. Before entering an ABOUT date, see if you can snag a document that pins it down better: 1872-1900 male -> perhaps a WWI draft registration or at least a 1900 census reference so the ABOUT 1879 becomes ABOUT MAR 1879, or even a more accurate MAR 1879 if the month is noted in another census (1880). 1880-2009 you may find an SSDI reference, California Death Index, Texas Birth record, Missouri/Kentucky Death certificate, Illinois/Missouri/Arkansas marriage license, etc.  Doing this as you enter a person is easier than remembering to try to go back and find this data and enter it for a person.  

As KIWI noted, if you don't, you'll be sorry later.  
    -Stephen

• Anonymous - 2009-11-05

Lew

A lengthy, but coherent set of responses. Too much to answer in detail, and your one question about Quick Update (when to SAVE) I can't help with. I don't use it, and never will. I can only suggest you experiment - that's how Iearned a lot of what I know about PGV.

You other points all have validity, some more than others, but all have been discussed on these pages many times before. Someone else has even in the last day or so added a Feature Request for a table-like structure for data entry. Ideas like that do sometimes get acted on. It all depends how much time PGVs TINY team of developers (2-3 regulars, with a couple more valued helpers in specific areas) can spare from their "real lives", and whether the idea appeals to them.

Discussing them here is fine, but most of your issues need actual HELP - which belongs on the Help forum. There Stephen, I and others will endeavor to help you. But you do need to read what we write - we don't have the time or interest to keep repeating ourselves. We will however only be able to help you use what PGV has now, not what you might like it to have in future. Even if a developer decided the table-like entry format was a good idea, you would be unlikely to see it in a stable release for a year or so.

Finally, I must comment on your query (?) "Maybe the goal for PGV was for single users who were willing to devote considerable time to learn the product for effective usage." Absolutely NOT. PGV was designed totally and exclusively with the intention of encouraging collaborative data entry, and many of us can list dozens if not hundreds of users on successful installations that do just that.

• Anonymous - 2009-11-05

Perhaps I have been discouraged because I haven't gotten any help from fellow family members and and all I have gotten in feedback is complaints, so other than my own inability to grasp functional use of PGV, the others lost interest before they were even able to start.

One of the people who got a signon, but didn't contribute is a genius, a programmer, and worked side-by-side with Seymour Cray on the development and programming of the Cray computer, and prior to that, was the head consultant at Control Data Computer Corp.  He was even pictured on the cover of the German Newsweek using his custom designed computer interface and chess board to play chess with the reigning world chess champion.  No dummy by any means, but he was stumped.

There might be examples of many people who have found people to help and work with them and by hook or by crook, were able to enter data, just like I did.  I am only suggesting that a simpler interface could be stuck on the front end for users who don't care to make the investment in time learning the product together with the massive typing investment.  I would have to be strongly motivated to learn the program if someone else was asking me to do it for them. 

I am at the crossroads of debating whether to use PGV only for viewing and do all the additions, corrections, and changes offline and upload new GED files over time.

I have been using computer-based FT programs since the early 70s.  DOS-based, command line entry, online, very crude programs, and more modern programs like FTM and Legacy as well as several current online programs.

PGV is the most impressive for it's ability to be customized and all the ways to interface with it.  On the other side of the coin, I have had a longer learning curve than with any of the other programs and I don't think that should be necessary. 

From the early 70's until the mid 80's I worked on a product called PLATO.  Designed at the U of Illinois using CDC mainframes.  Basically it was a bunch of sophisticated (touch panel) terminals that hooked into mainframes around the world.  I spent way too much time playing Star Wars, fighting players from across the country.

While working with them, one of my assignments was program accessibility.  Touch input was a big deal and surprisingly, it is finally finding it's way into consumer products and is supported in Windows 7.

We spent thousands of man hours on how to lay out the screen, what fonts to use, what size text, placement of data on the screen, and program flow.  Our audience ranged from pre-school to post grad so we had a large target to satisfy.  For our products to sell, we had to provide ease of use, yet enough powerful enough to be of value.

I don't think there needs to be a correlation between power of a program, and complexity of use.  I bet we can all cite examples in addition to the ones I provided earlier.  I am not asking for an Etch-A-Sketch interface, and I am beyond needing a GENI interface, but the people who I want to have help me won't help me using PGV.  Most of them are lucky to get by with interfaces like Ancestry offers, and some even find it too complex.  I haven't heard of any interface complaints with GENI :)

To reiterate, this is not a condemnation of PGV, it is meant to be just one perspective on the use of the product from someone who has been around the block a few times, and probably a few times too many.

Sorry for the diatribe…

Lew

• Anonymous - 2009-11-05

<< I am at the crossroads of debating whether to use PGV only for viewing and do all the additions, corrections, and changes offline and upload new GED files over time. >>

I do know  some people still prefer that method. Personally I cannot recommend it. We spend a huge amount of time on these forums helping people struggle with the inevitable issues related to constantly importing/exporting GEDCOM files from one product to another.

Its a sad fact that no two pieces of software adhere to the GEDCOM spec in the same way, so problems of lost, and corrupt data abound. Media items are by far the biggest issue. PGV has over the years done a huge amount to its import processes to try and cater for all the many variables involved, but still every so often some piece of software, or an update to one, causes issues.

• Link Up Hosting

Link Up Hosting - 2009-11-05

Hello…this is the new Lew with an official SF signon I was finally able to get…

I have a combination of two issues.

First, as you know, I have had issues getting comfortable with the interface and work flow, causing me to waste time and reach an aggravation level I would rather stay away from.  As mentioned, this applies to my far flung family as well.

Secondly, I was given a 4XXX and a 4XX family tree to merge.  I do not want to go through them all to find the differences and hand enter them.  It isn't like getting a scrap of paper with 10 names on it.  I don't know of a feasible way to deal with the GED files other than to merge them with GenMerge.  I am also looking at GenMatcher to clean up whatever duplicates get added. 

Is there a PC-based FT program  you feel is most compliant, i.e. most compatible with the fields, etc in PGV? 

You think I would have more issues with uploading a new GED than I would with all these other questions :)

Lew
    (with new SF signon)

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2009-11-05

Hi Lew,

Before merging these gedcoms, there are a couple of issues to consider.

1) Are these gedcoms "final", or is it likely that their authors will be sending you periodic updates?

2) How many of the INDIs in these new gedcoms overlap with existing ones in your gedcom.

If the answers are frequently/few, then add these as separate gedcoms, and link the overlapping individuals.

If the answers are never/few, then renumber the new gedcoms (plenty of tools around to do this) to avoid conflicts, "splice" the gedcoms together, and use PGV to merge the overlapping indis.

If the answers are frequently/many, then you might want to consider combining your research with the other author.

• Anonymous - 2009-11-05

Lew

GenMege is a good tool, and you shouldn't need Gen Matcher as well. Gen Merge deals to the duplicates as part of the merging process.

This falls under the 4th category in fisharebest''s terminology "never/many"

• Link Up Hosting

Link Up Hosting - 2009-11-05

The smaller one probably doesn't have any common people and would be adding all new people to the greater family tree

The bigger one is 95% common…two of us took the same tree many, many years ago and he added stuff and I added stuff, each to our own copy….then I started a family site and added a lot of other family data from many other sources he wouldn't have, so I had alot he didn't have, and he has some I don't have.  In this case "he" is the genius that doesn't want to tackle PGV.  It is more or less, "here is my data, take it or leave it".  So I need a way to find out what is new/different in his tree.

I thought in that case GenMatcher might be the better choice, and if there are limited limited new stuff, I can manually add it to my GED. 

I already merged two large trees to get one tree I considered my master.  I have already added to it online so the online version became the master.  I downloaded it to add these other two trees to it.  I am not going to manually add 400 names to my master tree when I have his GED…

As far as my cuz who gave me the 4XXX tree, I want to find out what is new in there I don't have, and then tell him to give me all his new data to add, but I don't want to try and manually figure out what is different between his version and mine.

In most cases I am added trees that have no know connection, like the 4XX, so they are all new names, by adding I hope to magically find a match.

If I am missing out on something, let me know, but I thought using Genmerge and cleanup with GenMatch was the best way to merge when dealing with a lot of records?

Thanks

• Link Up Hosting

Link Up Hosting - 2009-11-06

Kiwi,
    re:  genmatch lets me see side by side, the differences between two records.  I still have to figure out which one is right, and what data I want moved from the second one to the first one.

I thought genmerge only worked more crudely, i.e. you designated the master database, and if there were common files, it threw out the secondary copy. 

I read what little docs there are a couple times, and couldn't figure out precisely how it treated what it thought was duplicated data.  The goal would be to throw out ones totally the same, add all new ones, and merge duplicate records by getting to choose what data you wanted to merge and what data is probably not good data.

I saw no option in merge like match to make the decision, record by record what to do.

To me the best of both worlds is a program like genmatch that would allow you to actually cut and paste between trees.    Ideally, the program would identify the differences and I could click on the data I wanted copied from one tree to the other, allowing me to pick the best of the data to end up in the master.

Thx

• Link Up Hosting

Greg,

I missed or didn't understand one  of your points:

"If the answers are never/few, then renumber the new gedcoms (plenty of tools around to do this) to avoid conflicts, "splice" the gedcoms together, and use PGV to merge the overlapping indis."

I haven't renumbered, will find a tool for that.  "splice" using genmerge?
    and then I was lost…I thought PGV had no merging capability?  Where is the feature located and how do I do it?  Where is the faq or wiki or whatever for PGV merging?  I thought when I first started out I was told I had to do all merging away from PGV as it couldn't do it??

More confused as usual…

Lew

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2009-11-06

Lew  
    "I thought PGV had no merging capability?"  
    Sorry, again another good reason to learn the capabilities of PGV before trying to create a GEDCOM. Honestly, you infer that it will take you weeks of familiarization, but my aged users, many without previous genealogy experience, have learned the majority of features by agressive browsing/navigation in short order, less than a week.  You should try it. Browse the ADMIN page, the USER ADMIN, the ACCOUNTS page, the GEDCOMS configuration page and then browse from yourself through your family. Click pedigree charts, click descendancy charts, click circle diagram chart, etc. See that all are dynamically linked, with pop-ups or rollover menus, depending on how YOU configured your site.

Now, with more questions, its time to stop hijacking this thread and open a new one for each new topic, like merging. The purpose of these forums is to allow for the greater good by providing a searchable, topic relevant collection of problems and solutions. IOHO, Creating huge threads with multiple topics embedded within does no one any good. 

Finally, generally speaking merging large gedcoms is a real can of worms. I mentioned in an earlier thread that you should have established data entry conventions and communicate those to your potential new users to clarify issues before data is entered. I have NEVER, in over 10 years at this, found anyone else who structures their data in the exact same fashion I do, despite no considering my formatting unique.  Particularly, the use ca. instead of ABT, they use "of, Boston, Mass." instead of "Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts, USA", etc.  All of these become a huge headache when simply merged, as it causes wonky display results and creates sometimes more work fixing it than simply entering it correctly the first time.  

Don't mean to preach, but you continue to say how difficult PGV is to use, when in reality, its one of the easiest genealogy programs around. Use by someone completely unfamiliar with genealogical work flow or terms or concepts IS a much slower process and longer learning curve, but we can attest that, regardless of age, familiarity with computers, or skill level, with a little nurturing and careful training (AFTER you familiarize yourself with PGV) the true collaborative nature of PGV will come to pass.  
    -Stephen

• Link Up Hosting

Hello,

I specifically asked about merging and was told PGV can't do that.  When I have the time I will search for it.

I can only relate to you my own experience with the program and that of the people who have tired who gave me their feedback.  You can't deny someone their own experience.  If I say Ancestry, Geni, Legacy, and FTM were all easier to use, then they were all easier to use, and not just for me.  We can disagree about how to input data, or things like that, but telling a person their feelings or thoughts are wrong is out of place.

As it turns out I just got a call telling me that my Dad is dying…you can continue the discussion about how my opinion and those I know is wrong despite our own, real world experiences with various software.

Hope you understand my absence for awhile..

Lew

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks