Editing the GedCom

Walton
2009-09-22
2013-05-30
  • Walton

Walton - 2009-09-22

It had to be done. We had some funky place names showing up in GooleMaps and going through it with a text editor is the only real way we could find all the errors. I'm amazed by the amount of other errors we found along the way. Four days later the GedCom is now several hundred Kb smaller, the place names are mostly fixed and I've nearly worn the text off of my F3 key. Here's some of the weirder types of errors we had:

Two individuals had their residence listed over 70 times.

Some older version of some genealogy program created OCCU tags but didn't put anything in that tag, instead it would put the occupation in a PLAC tag underneath the OCCU tag. This started with I00001

1 OCCU 
    2 PLAC Retired

One old dear of a relative thought that Place underneath Occupation meant Position of Rank:

1 OCCU Nurse

2 PLAC Head Matron in charge of Intensive Care Unit

1 OCCU Soldier

2 PLAC Quarter Master Major

Another dear old relative thought it was OK to right a short story for each place:

2 PLAC At her mothers house. The bridesmaids wore pink. The weather was lovely.

Other than that it was mostly missing commas, or fullstops instead of commas, or country and state missing, but I've also learned of the dangers of merging GedComs. All it takes is a slightly different style of listing and you've got double entries everywhere.

1 BURI

2 PLAC Cemetery, Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia

1 BURI

2 PLAC Broken Hill Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia

There's still a lot that needs fixing up, but what we've got now is so much more useful than what we had.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Mark Hattam

Mark Hattam - 2009-09-22

Shouldn't

1 BURI
    2 PLAC Broken Hill Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia

be

1 BURI
    2 PLAC Broken Hill Cemetery, Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-09-22

Those weird PLAC entries subordinate to OCCU are created by Family Tree Maker. 

I use FTM 2006, and it does it.  I haven't upgraded to a more recent version because I don't like the "improved" user interface, so I can't say whether the problem has been fixed in newer versions.

When you import the GEDCOM, PGV offers to correct these errors.  You should let it do so.  After that, export the recently imported GEDCOM, and then work with that one to correct the rest of the Place errors.

• Walton

Walton - 2009-09-23

<< Shouldn't

1 BURI 2 PLAC Broken Hill Cemetery, New South Wales, Australia

be

1 BURI 2 PLAC Broken Hill Cemetery, Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia >>

It is now.  :)

<< Those weird PLAC entries subordinate to OCCU are created by Family Tree Maker.

I use FTM 2006, and it does it. I haven't upgraded to a more recent version because I don't like the "improved" user interface, so I can't say whether the problem has been fixed in newer versions. >>

FTM 2008 does it too, it also still only uses GedCom 5.5, not the 5.5.1 that PGV uses, and it chokes on the media links too. I've already started weaning Dad off of Windows, now he's started to get fed up with FTM as well. He's already decided that next time someone sends him another GedCom he's going to open it in Kwrite first.

This all looks like we're headed in the right direction, hopefully we are.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Victor H.

Victor H. - 2009-09-24

I love bringing my gedcoms down into Vim once in a while and going through them. Mercy, how I miss Unix.

<<2 PLAC At her mothers house. The bridesmaids wore pink. The weather was lovely.>>

What a great note. The user would probably be mortified to see her entry as a list item in the location hierarchy.

That reminds me; time to get out Greg's gedcheck.php and put the gedcoms through their paces. Ever since we went to the "lookup" function, my main errors consist of having a source value of "bible" or "obit" where I (or my users) forgot to pick the correct value from the drop-down list.