still no map :-(

Help
Michael
2007-10-08
2013-04-29
  • Michael

Michael - 2007-10-08

Hi Chris,

First of all, thanks for an updated version.
    All things I was "complaining" ;-) about, were indeed fixed... except map (of course it might not need fixing, just it doesn't work for me).
    I still don't see anything on "Room Map" page, when I press "Show map" button.
    I entered two servers and defined Room as DC1 (from drop-down menu, properly taken from configuration page) and "1#1-2" and "1#3-4".
    (actually I tried first "1#1" and "1#2", but result was the same)
    What am I missing?
    Then I looked at the log: /var/log/httpd/error_log
    and saw quite few of following messages:
    [Mon Oct 08 18:39:39 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: archsearch in /var/www/html/EquiMon/edit.php on line 288, referer: http://localhost/EquiMon/?
    Maybe it'll help you to determine what's going on.
    Is there something I can "turn on" or set, so it will give out more descriptive messages?
    Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer, and can't help you much in coding... or finding bugs in the code.
    But I do have a data center to look after, and map feature sort of hook me into testing you program.

Thanks for your time,
    Best regards,
    Michael

• ChrisM

ChrisM - 2007-10-16

Hello Michael,

your problem in the log is a known one. The fix is easy: Just replace $archsearch in the mentioned line with $architecture. That does not only fix the error in the log but also a (resulting) bug: The architecture field in the edit form was not correctly populated when editting an entry.

Concerncing the map:
      I think I know now what your problem is: phpEquiMon expects both a row and a column number.

So if you have a datacenter with three rows and 9 columns (= server rack per row), a machine located in the middle on height unit 10 would have:
      ROOMNAME[blank]2/5#10

You do not need to enter the ROOMNAME[blank]. Just select the room name in the combo box and the blank will be automatically inserted after it. But it is important to have two values before the #, separated by a slash.

Does this help? Would it help for your datacenter structure to have a operation mode with only one row that requires only value before the #? (most data centers have a 2D structure and are separated in rows and columns)

Thanks for testing!

Best regards
      Chris

• Michael

Michael - 2007-10-17

Hi Chris,

You're right, changing to $architecture fixed the errors in the log.
      And providing two values before # resulted in actual map. Cool!
      Sorry I got confused by example on Edit page, I thought that in "ROOM 1/1#2-4" example "ROOM 1" is actually name of room,
      which seemed logical looking at suggested format: "Room Location/Rack#RackUnit".
      And you right again about 2D structure of datacenters, so there is no need to make special mode for one row.
      If I would need it, I can always use just row #1.
      I've noticed that you're limiting for example rack number to only numerical values, but sometimes people ;-) use letters too, e.g. "Rack 2A". Same could be applied to rows, what if rows are named after departments? Do you think it's worth making naming scheme more flexible?

Thanks and regards,
      Michael

• ChrisM

ChrisM - 2007-10-18

Hello Michael,

first of all I'm glad that your map problems are fixed.

Thanks for your suggestion with numbers in the row/column. That really sounds good and I'll put it on the TODO list. More documentation is also on the TODO list so that no one else has to suffer from my short comments in the edit form like you did. ;-)

If you find other bugs in the map (though I have tested it relatively good), just tell me. It is a quite complex algorithm because it also takes care when machines overlap or multiple machines share the same height unit (this can happen if you own blades for example).

Best regards
      Chris

• Michael

Michael - 2007-10-21

Hi Chris,

Wow! I was just debating with myself, whether I should ask you about map for blades in the rack, since they pretty popular these days, and boom! you're already thought of that. Nice! Thanks! Will test it and let you know.

Regards,
      Michael