Why WBEM?

Michael
2007-10-09
2013-04-29
  • Michael

Michael - 2007-10-09

Hi Chris,

If you don't mind, could you, please share with us,
    why you have chosen WBEM for collecting info from machines? Why not, say, SNMP?

Thanks,
    Michael

• ChrisM

ChrisM - 2007-10-16

Hello Michael,

to be honest, there is no real "advantage" of WBEM over SNMP or other monitoring solutions (although I have only tested these two until now). But WBEM is newer and likely to replace SNMP in most use cases concerning it is much more flexible in its data structures and there are still ways to get SNMP information into WBEM (using kind of a "gateway", I heard of this but have not tested it yet).

Also, the people I wrote phpEquiMon originally for, already used WBEM for another monitoring service and thought about making a WBEM server a requirement for most running systems which meant that if I supported SNMP, they would have to run two monitoring servers!

But there is no reason, why phpEquiMon should not support SNMP. I will place this on my personal suggestion list which I will start working off if all open bugs are fixed. :-)

Best regards
      Chris

• Michael

Michael - 2007-10-18

Thanks Chris for your answer.
      It makes sense.
      But what about non-server devices, like network switches?
      I can get something from them using SNMP query, but haven't seen WBEM interface.
      Or is it in the future implementations?
      Just curious. Need to read more about it.
      I'll definitely try it, so watch out. ;-)

Thanks,
      Michael

• ChrisM

ChrisM - 2007-10-18

Hi Michael,

I think, with time, managed switches and other equipment will also implement WBEM or (more likely) even replace SNMP with WBEM.

As I said there is nothing that stops me from implementing SNMP support in phpEquiMon- and I'd like SNMP support for myself personally too- (PHP features a SNMP module that I have already tested) except my chronical lack of time. I have just started studies of Computer Science at the University of Karlsruhe (Germany) and together with some other (non-open source) projects that leaves me hardly any free time. :-(

But let's see, when I will find some time, I'll finish phpEquiMon 0.2.

Greetings
      Chris

• Michael

Michael - 2007-10-21

Chris,

You are already doing a lot for all of us. Always had great respect for people like you, who does things possibly useful for others (or maybe not ;-)), in their spare time. So don't feel bad, if there is no time for this program. Of course, studing should be on the first place. You should also spend some time for relaxation, parties, movies, etc. ;-))

Thanks and good luck at school,
      Best reagrds,
      Michael

• ChrisM

ChrisM - 2007-10-22

Hello Michael,

thank you. :-)

I just had my first real lecture on computer science today... up to this point nothing I did not already know :P

Best regards
      Chris