Menu

Mile Per Gallon Calculations

2008-06-03
2013-04-17
  • Jim Baldwin

Jim Baldwin - 2008-06-03

Remi,

I have been using pFuel for several years.  One thing has always confused me but have never gotten around to asking about it.  The Miles Per Gallon calculation by pFuel does not appear to be accurate.  I always get "Full Tank" and get 350 plus miles per tank full.  Just yesterday I filled up.  Took 15.25 gallons.  Prior odometer reading was 1,685.9.  Yesterday's odometer reading was 2055.3 (new car) miles.  The difference being 369.4 miles.  While pFuel calculated the 369.4 miles correctly, pFuel calculated the MPG as 29.08.  Manual calculations (369.4/15.25) comes to 24.2229 MPG which is very close to my car's onboard mileage calculation.  I have checked and rechecked pFuel's setting and cannot figure out why pFuel gives a different MPG calculation than the manually calculated result.  I have checked all the preferences and they appear to be correct.  What am I doing wrong?  Jim Baldwin, Southfield, MI

• Remi Ricard

Remi Ricard - 2008-06-03

Hi,

Are you using Gallons or US Gallons and are mixing both ?

In the car preference check if you have
      Fuel: US Gallons or Gallons

Then check if for the Efficiency you have
      Miles/Gallons or Miles/US Gallons

369.4 / 15.25 US Gallons = 24.2229 Miles / US Gallons

369.4 / 15.24 US Gallons * 0.832 Gallons / US Gallons = 29.1 Miles/ Gallons

Gallons to US Gallons = 1.200952
      24.2229 * 1.20 = 29.06

Remi

• Jim Baldwin

Jim Baldwin - 2008-06-03

Remi,

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid I have messed things up.  I seemed to have lost the pFuel data and can't tell you what the preferences were.  Iknow it was set to Miles/US Gallons.  I am only quessing I would have selected Fuel as US Gallons.

I did a HotSync this morning before I lost the pFuel data.  I cannot find the app and data information but feel it must be there.  What and where can I find the pFuel app and data on my PC?  I am hoping to be able to just do quick-install those files to restore my pFuel data.  Can you help?
        -----

Jim Baldwin
        Southfield, MI
        jbaldwi1@email.com

• Jim Baldwin

Jim Baldwin - 2008-06-04

Remi,

As a follow-up, I did manage to recover all my data.  I had backed up my SD card 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to a much larger card.  I found and installed the pdb files from that backup and was able to enter the rest of the information from my original post here and from my receipts.  It seems my calculation problem was just as you described, mixing Gallons with US Gallons.  Making them both US Gallons gives me the accurage numbers I was looking for.  Thank you again for you time, effort, and patients.  And, Thank You for pFuel.  I'll look forward to the next upgrade.
          -----

Jim Baldwin
          Southfield, MI

• Remi Ricard

Remi Ricard - 2008-06-04

Hi Jim,

From the calculation in my previous message I suspect one was using Gallon and the other one US Gallon.

For the lost data.
      Since you did not tell which operating system you use I suspect it is windows.
      So you can look under c:/Program Files/palmone/backup/your_name_on_the_palm and there will be several file starting with pFuel and with the extension pdb.

You can also do a global search and look for pFuel*.pdb. Make a copy of them in a safe place and then you can install them back on the palm with a new hotsync.

Remi

• Jim Baldwin

Jim Baldwin - 2008-06-04

Remi,

Thank you for your time and interest.

Unfortunately, I apparently have lost my pFuel files.  Can't find them anywhere.  Not on my backup card or desktop backup.  Oh well.  I will be sure to export the data before I try updating pFuel in the future.

I am starting over with version 0.04.06 where I have selected US Gallons and will check those calculations with my next tank of gas.

Thanks again.
        --

Jim Baldwin
        Southfield, MI