SRV Lookup

Help
dose
2011-08-05
2012-12-12
  • dose

dose - 2011-08-05

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to register to my sipxecs server but I can't, it looks that your application doesn't support SRV lookup, can't you confirm  me it please?

Best Regards

• yohannmartineau

yohannmartineau - 2011-08-16

hi,

that's right, unfortunately, peers does not support srv lookup. Sorry for late answer, I'm just back from vacation.

You can add a feature request if you want. This would require modifications on default jre dns stack. I know there's a java library that can send / receive custom dns requests, but I can't remember its name. Google would probably help on this…

• Rick van Rein

Rick van Rein - 2012-12-11

Yohann,

The library you are talking about almost certainly is dnsjava

I also ran into the problem of missing SRV records, and was actually surprised to run into it; given that SOHO routers bluntly take hold of port 5060 and turn it into something locked-down and useless, life without SRV records is a bit hard to handle for many of us.

RFC 3263 prescribes SRV records for SIP URIs without a port number.

• Rick van Rein

Rick van Rein - 2012-12-12

I dived in and got SRV records working with a minimal patch. This does incorporate a dependency on dnsjava though, a 200 kB JAR. The JAR includes a lot more than is actually needed, it should be straightforward to trim it to SIP Peers' purposes at about 50 kB.

After downloading version 2.1.3 from http://www.xbill.org/dnsjava/ you can install it with Maven using

mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.xbill.DNS -DartifactId=dnsjava -Dversion=2.1.3 -Dfile=/path/to/dnsjava-2.1.3.jar -Dpackaging=jar

If I had it my way, I would actually prefer to change SIP Peers to iterate over multiple offers (at the SRV level and at the A/AAAA level) so it has all chances possible to reach a remote party. This would also be helpful when supporting IPv6 aside IPv4, of course, which is what I am hoping to achieve.

I hope this is useful.

Cheers,
    -Rick

Last edit: Rick van Rein 2012-12-13