Menu

Specific Frequency settings for hearing loss

2020-01-10
2020-01-20
  • Anton Van Tonder

I'm hard of hearing, and use Phonak hearing aids and a Phonak ComPilot streamer to listen to music. I can't hear high frequencies, e.g. violin, etc. None of the presets in Peace appear to be a one-click solution for me, so I guess I would need to create my own preset.

I would appreciate it if someone could suggest settings to boost the high frequencies and mid range, and a deep bass.

Thanks in advance.

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2020-01-11

I think the issue is that certain high frequencies need to be amplified. The generic Peace presets in the configurations list are useful for speakers and headphones which need more bass or highs or both.

Ideally you have a frequency spectrum of your hearing. In theory it's possible to measure this, for instance by your hearing care professional. But to be more practical, when I need a preset for certain headphones, I start with a flat preset like the Equalizer Default configuration and dail up one slider at a time to get more of that particular frequency in. It's a kind of mixing frequencies until you get it right. It isn't the easiest way to do things but I managed to get some decent results.

• Anton Van Tonder

Thank you for your reply.

If I get the frequency spectrum from my hearing care professional, one can set Peace up to match that?

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2020-01-11

Yes, by using the sliders whilst looking at the shape of filter graph. Or by altering this graph directly (you can shape it by dragging the so called graph handles). Anyway, in general matching the filter graph with a measurement is a reverse action. Where a frequency is lower (one you can't hear well) this frequency must be amplified.

Read on for some additional info on creating a preset: As Peace has several filters (peak, low pass, etc.) you can combine them but the easiest way is to use mainly peak filters (which is the default). When you look at a filter graph of one of the presets you'll see a bumpy graph. This isn't a problem but it's caused by using peak filters and can easily be smooth out by changing the Q value (beneath a slider) which controls the width of a peak filter.

• Anton Van Tonder

I hope the attached image make sense to you, as this what my local audiology dept gave me this morning.

If it does, and if you have the time, maybe you could create a preset based on the image? The sliders and filter graphs remind me of an abyss :) I can always finetune it.

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2020-01-20

I find it pretty difficult to come up with decent preset. Nonetheless I've give it a go. The attached preset must be copied to c:\program files\equalizerapo\config, there where Peace is located.

The difficulties of creating a preset are comparing a graph of a person without hearing impaired with your results. Perhaps my preset is rubbish but I hope it's one to build on.

Last edit: Peter Verbeek 2020-01-20
  • Anton Van Tonder

Thank you very much! I'll certainly try it and try to fine tune if needed to the best of my ability.