pdf-conversion requires connection to X11

Help
2013-01-31
2013-04-25
  • Jörg Tiedemann

Jörg Tiedemann - 2013-01-31

I want to convert PDF files on a remote machine in a batch process. However, the tools still seem to require X11 which would not work for me. This message is produced when the X11 connection is down:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:11.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:178)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:142)
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:186)
    at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:82)
    at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.createGraphics(BufferedImage.java:1152)
    at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.getGraphics(BufferedImage.java:1142)
    at at.ac.tuwien.dbai.pdfwrap.pdfread.PDFObjectExtractor.processPage(PDFObjectExtractor.java:1579)
    at at.ac.tuwien.dbai.pdfwrap.pdfread.PDFObjectExtractor.processPages(PDFObjectExtractor.java:1485)
    at at.ac.tuwien.dbai.pdfwrap.pdfread.PDFObjectExtractor.findObjects(PDFObjectExtractor.java:1343)
    at at.ac.tuwien.dbai.pdfwrap.ProcessFile.processPDF(ProcessFile.java:188)
    at at.ac.tuwien.dbai.pdfwrap.ProcessFile.processPDFToXMLDocument(ProcessFile.java:338)
    at at.ac.tuwien.dbai.pdfwrap.ProcessFile.main(ProcessFile.java:527)

Why is this necessary if I want to run without the GUI?

• Jörg Tiedemann

Jörg Tiedemann - 2013-02-01

Please, ignore this message. Apparently this problem only appears when I connect via 'ssh -X' and the X11 connection is lost after some time. It seems to run fine when running in a shell without initial X11 tunneling …