Menu

Hard coded grey background?

2007-07-19
2013-04-24
  • slickriptide

slickriptide - 2007-07-19

I'm converting some PDF's to minimal html files. Using the default parameters (pdftohtml mydoc.pdf) I got a framed document with a table of contents in one frame and the document in the other.

When I specified -noframes -i (I didn't care about any pics that might appear in the files) it converted to html nicely, but every file had a hard-coded background color set to #A0A0A0. This seems like a strange design decision. Is there any way to turn it off, short of editing the code and recompiling?

• slickriptide

slickriptide - 2007-07-19

Well, I answered my own question by downloading and compiling the linux code. The grey background, along with blue links, is hard-coded into the no-frames code with no switch to allow changing it to something else.

I was running the windows .EXE without any compiler handy, so I fixed my own problem by downloading a hex editor and hacking the bgcolor attribute on the BODY tags into a bunch of spaces instead.

I'd like to suggest that these hard-coded body tag attributes be removed so that the browser can handle the background color and link colors.