Menu

Page Numbers in Merged PDF.

Q7835H
2007-11-09
2013-05-09
  • Q7835H

Q7835H - 2007-11-09

Pdfsam is a wonderful program.

But, merged PDF contains the original PDF’s page numbers.

I merged two PDF’s each of only one page which are numbered at bottom centre “Page 1”

Resultant merged PDF of two pages had the original page numbers of “Page 1” at bottom centre of both pages.

I used A-PDF Number to apply page numbers to merged PDF, it placed “Page 1” and “Page 2” at bottom right, but original page numbers remained.

Applying page numbers only worked when the two original PDF’s had been made by the same virtual PDF print driver, PDFcreator.

When original PDF’s were made be different virtual PDF print drivers merged PDF with new page numbers applied failed to open in any PDF readers.

How do you get new page numbers in the merged PDF ?

• Andrea Vacondio

Andrea Vacondio - 2007-11-10

pdfsam works with document pages putting them together.. if your documents have page numbers in their footer, page numbers will be the same in the merged document. There's nothing in pdfsam to manage the content of pages. I'm working on a complete refactor of pdfsam, after that i'm thinking about adding some feature to manipulate contents like bookmarks, metadata, page numbers and so on but there's nothing at the moment.
      Andrea

• Q7835H

Q7835H - 2007-11-10

I am a casual home user of PDF’s.

Apparently Governments and Corporate business often work on drafts that don’t have printed page numbers, this allows them to split, merge, append, etc, without worrying about page numbers on working drafts. It is only the final release to the public that may be given page numbers.

Some software developers maybe trying to separate headers and footers from the main page content when splitting and merging, etc, but if the PDF author actually edited the page numbers onto the page like the main text instead of using a header and footer overlay then merged PDF will contain the original page numbers.

Its tricky, but may not be impossible to get auto footer page numbers onto a merged PDF after stripping footer page numbers from original PDF’s, but PDF specification version 1.7 may need updating so header and footers, etc, can easily be stripped from PDF’s.

PDF version 1.0 (Adobe Acrobat 1.x)
      PDF version 1.1 (Adobe Acrobat 2.x)
      PDF version 1.2 (Adobe Acrobat 3.x)
      PDF version 1.3 (Adobe Acrobat 4.x)
      PDF version 1.4 (Adobe Acrobat 5.x)
      PDF version 1.5 (Adobe Acrobat 6.x)
      PDF version 1.6 (Adobe Acrobat 7.x)
      PDF version 1.7 (Adobe Acrobat 8.x)

Either way for a home user it just a minor matter.

Pdfsam is quick efficient and simple to use, its suited for commercial or home use, 10 out of 10. Well done !

• arronlee

arronlee - 2013-05-08

1. Tools - Pages - Edit Page Design - Header & Footer - Add Header & Footer.

2. Select the font and size, etc, place the cursor on the appropriate site to insert the page number, click the "Insert Page Number" button, and click OK.

But if you have larger documents and with mostly text and pictures, you could try a professional PDF component. It's an OCR add-on offered by Yiigo that will electronically read a document and retype it into another application like Word. It even keeps the formatting intact. It's kind of buggy, but it works quite well for basic documents and will convert text that is from pdf, jpg, tiff, etc. Anything it can read. You can also use a scanner to copy a page and it can convert it to a doc you can edit.

Download the free trial and try it.

That's it! Let me know if this helped and were able to do this with success.

• Jacks Parow

Jacks Parow - 2024-09-12
    Post awaiting moderation.