Menu

Memory_cs not availble

2004-08-05
2004-08-06
  • Rick Knight

Rick Knight - 2004-08-05

I've been try to get PCMCIA support working correctly on my Notebook PC but I'm having trouble with memory_cs. During boot, the system probes for memory_cs and when it can't find it, it skips the rest of PCMCIA setup and continues booting.  When I want to use my PCMCIA modem, I have to eject it and re-insert it.
    I have an HP Omnibook 500 running Slackware 9.0. I'e upgraded to the 2.6 kernel and ever since, the kernel wants to load memory_cs. I can't find memory_cs anywhere on my system and I don't see it anywhere in the kernel config. All I need from PCMCIA is serial, scsi and a couple of network cards. How can I tell the kernel not to try to load memory_cs? Or how can I build it so the kernel is happy?

Thanks,
    Rick Knight

• David Hinds

David Hinds - 2004-08-06

The kernel is only looking for memory_cs because something else is going wrong.  Specifically, it sounds like your modem card is being misdetected as being a memory card at boot time.

If it is happening after an upgrade to 2.6, then it sounds like what you've got is a 2.6 kernel PCMCIA bug, where the way the bridge device is getting initialized at boot time is screwing up card identification for cards that are already inserted.

You should report this to the 2.6 kernel PCMCIA mailing list.  The 2.6 PCMCIA code is under development and I've seen some discussion of similar issues on that list.

http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-pcmcia

-- Dave