Programming for a Sony Ericsson GC82

Roger
2004-07-10
2004-07-15
  • Roger

Roger - 2004-07-10

I recently aquired a "Sony Ericsson GC82 Cellular PC Card" which uses the serial_cs device driver.

I noticed the only features lacking (when compared to the windows software & drivers) are:

1)  A signal meter which uses the AT Command "AT+CSQ" to report signal strenth (ie. +CSQ: 11,99).

2)  Carrier being used or reported AT +COPS=?
    ie:

+COPS: (2,"AT&T Wireless","AT&T Wireless","310380"),,(0,1,2,3,4),(0,1,2)

+COPS: (1,"T-Mobile","T-Mobile","310260"),,(0,1,2,3,4).(0,1,2)

A full list can be found here:
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=33431

What I would like to try doing is coding a driver to provide a /proc of these values.  I would imagine the best place for placing this code or driver would be directly underneath the serial_cs driver.

Am I correct?  Any thoughts on this?

And a good spot for the proc info is:
    /proc/sys/net/gc82 ?

The only issue I am seeing with this device is extemely slow to respond due to latency on the network (considered to be normal operation).

Interesting to note to see a few postings regarding the GC79 which is similar to the GC82.

• David Hinds

David Hinds - 2004-07-15

I think implementing this sort of thing is actually pretty tricky:

The linux kernel's serial driver expects to own the device and to be in charge of all data sent to and from the UART.  I think it would be difficult (or maybe impossible) to safely inject these AT commands and collect responses from the device, without substantially modifying the serial driver, to arbitrate between regular traffic and this extra command traffic.

Alternatively, this could be done at a higher level, by modifying whatever is talking to the serial device to send these commands periodically.

-- Dave

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks