D-Link DWL-650 problems

2002-12-30
2013-04-08
  • Simon Chatfield

Simon Chatfield - 2002-12-30

Hi Everyone, I'm having a heluva time setting up this wireless card in linux. I've installed the latest pcmcia-cs 3.2.3 on my 2.4.20 machine, I've tried the wlan-ng 0.1.9 and the samsung swld11_cs with the same failures.

I'm at the point where I can get the high beep then the low beep. I was only able to get the high-beep when adding the error's pci id's into the config file. Ie

card "D-Link DWL-650 11Mbps 802.11b WLAN Card"
       pci 0x1317, 0x8201
    #   version "D", "Link DWL-650 11Mbps WLAN Card", "Version 01.02"
       bind "prism2_cs"

and commenting out the version line. I don't know if I have a newer version of the DWL-650 or what, but this is my output from dump_cis

[root@simontosh debug-tools]# dump_cis
    Socket 0:
      dev_info
        NULL 200ns, 512b
        NULL 0ns, 512b
        NULL 0ns, 512b
        NULL 0ns, 4kb

Socket 1:
      no CIS present

Here is the log message.

Dec 30 16:02:51 simontosh kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 4): vendor 0x1317, device 0x8201
    Dec 30 16:02:51 simontosh cardmgr[8630]: socket 0: D-Link DWL-650 11Mbps 802.11b WLAN Card
    Dec 30 16:02:52 simontosh cardmgr[8630]: executing: 'modprobe prism2_cs'
    Dec 30 16:02:52 simontosh kernel: init_module: prism2_cs.o: 0.1.9 Loaded
    Dec 30 16:02:52 simontosh kernel: init_module: dev_info is: prism2_cs
    Dec 30 16:02:52 simontosh kernel: prism2_cs: GetFirstTuple: No more items
    Dec 30 16:02:52 simontosh kernel: prism2sta_config: NextTuple failure? It's probably a Vcc mismatch.
    Dec 30 16:02:52 simontosh kernel: prism2sta_event: prism2_cs: Initialization failed!
    Dec 30 16:02:53 simontosh cardmgr[8630]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Can anyone throw me a bone here? I'm pulling my hair out on this problem and can't afford a wig. Thanks in advance.

-Simon

ps. No, I don't have the 650+ and the card works find in XP on the same machine

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-01-07

Hi Simon,

Did you set up your kernel to have pcmcia functionality?  If you did, turn that off and recompile your kernel.  The pcmcia code that comes with the pcmcia package is simply better and that's what you should use.  This is simply better than anything in the linux kernel (I don't know why), and that's what you should use. 

While you're at it, when you recompile the kernel make sure that you turn *on* wireless network support (non-ham radio), but do not enable any of the actual drivers associated with wireless.

The errors you're getting are most likely related to this.

Hope this helps.  I had to recompile my kernel twice before I could get it to work; ultimately I just turned everything off except for the wireless network setting and let the pcmcia/wlan drivers install the necessary modules.

• Jean Tourrilhes

Jean Tourrilhes - 2003-01-07

-------------------
      > Dec 30 16:02:52 simontosh kernel: prism2sta_config: NextTuple failure? It's probably a Vcc mismatch.
      -------------------

Check the driver FAQ, this failure and its workaround are explained.

Jean

• David Petruncola

Not sure if this applies to your case, but there are a couple of us over on the Xandros forum tring to get the DWL-650 to work, as well.

If you go to the dlink support site, products>DWL-650, you'll get a pop-up box where you can identify which of the 3 DWL-650's you have.

I don't have clue WHY they didn't change the model #.

The newer cards are NOT prism based & my request to dlink to identify the chip was answered with "it's proprietary".

I have the DWL-650 L1 H/W A1.

Not sure if this is news to the community or not, but I haven' run accross any mention of this, except for  the chart at the wlan project page.

Dave

• Willie McKemie

Willie McKemie - 2003-02-06

I have heard rumors that the adm8211 chip mentioned in the Trendware thread are showing up in these D-Link cards.  A google search on "linux adm8211" may be enlightening.  I eagerly await the appearance of a Linux driver.

• Simon Chatfield

Simon Chatfield - 2003-02-06

The latest model of the DWL-650 dosn't have the prism chipset, but has the TI acx100 chipset (same as D-Link 650+). They have yet to release information about it. There are rumors that D-Link, Texas Instruments and some company Eusso Tech were working on a driver, but so far nothing.

However, some people have reported that this binary only driver for 2.4.18 ONLY can work. Most people have reported that it doesn't work though. Here's the link..

http://www.zahner2000.de/linux/v0903a.zip

Personally I'm pretty fed up with this card and it not working, I think I'm just going to go get a Linksys WPC11 ver 3.0 as I hear it's almost plug-n-play.

Maybe a working driver will be released before I get to the store. :) Good luck

• David Petruncola

>>The latest model of the DWL-650 dosn't have the prism chipset, but has the TI acx100 chipset (same as D-Link 650+). <<

Well, I'm pissed....reason I bought the 650 (2 of them,no less) instead of the 650+ was because the dlink website had links for the linux drivers for it.

Why can't they change model #'s when they change the HW??

I'm posting this problem on every forum I visit, just to get the word out.

I'm assuming you know for a fact that it is the TI acx-100 chipset?

Thanks for the info,

Dave

• Curt Parker

Curt Parker - 2003-02-07

Actually, it uses the ADMtek ADM8211.  I have been through this too, I ended up trading my wireless card for one that is supposed to work with a windows-only friend of mine.

• David Petruncola

Well, sounds to me like we have some conflicting information.

So in an effort to get the facts straight, I'd like folks to post what info they KNOW about this card.

Keep in mind that we are really talking about 4 different cards, that all bear the same model #

DWL-650                 -The original w/ the "ear" antenna
      DWL-650 K1             - rectangular antenna
      DWL-650 L1 H/W:K1  -Rect. ant. w/ LED's
      DWL-650 L1 H/W:L1  - -Rect. ant. w/ LED's

The last 2 can be identified by the serial # on the back.

We know the first one is prism based, but if anyone knows which chip is used in the others, please post the info (& source of the info, if available).

Thanks,
      Dave

• JW

JW - 2003-02-12

I have the original DWL-650 with "ear" antenna. I didn't get it to work using the wlan-ng drivers, but found it worked fine using the patched Orinoco drivers. Though I am not much of a linux expert.

Used Redhat 7.3 and snax patched Orinoco drivers.

• David Petruncola

Well, I found a little more info today by plugging my FCC ID # in over at the FCC site.

Although some files are confidential, there is one that has internal pictures. While the pics were too fuzzy to read a model #, I was able to make out ADMtek on the chip.

One small step...

Dave

• Simon Chatfield

Simon Chatfield - 2003-03-12

OK, here's some more information, I have a 650 with a Texas instruments chipset, I have the DWL-650 version L1.

I don't know if the other versions have the ADMtek chipset or not, but my problem is no driver for TI chipset. I still haven't gotten out to get a new card, but if I want wireless linux this year, I'll probably have to.

Here's email exchange from D-Link

Dear Simon,

Products:   DWL-650
        Operating System:  Linux

Thank you for contacting D-Link Tech Support!

when you go to the products page for the DWL-650, it asks what version
        you haev by making you select what your card looks like. when you click
        on it, it shows what drivers are available and what OS the card
        supports. if the OS is not checked, the OS is not compatable. there is no
        linux drivers for the 650L1. it uses a TI chipset.

Thank you for networking with D-Link.

Sincerely,
        Randy Juber
        D-Link Technical Support Team

============Start of Original Message ============

You might want to put that information on your
        website.

Is there any driver in the works? Can you tell me
        which chipset is used in the 650 L1 so I can keep an
        eye out for linux drivers for that chipset? Thanks!

-Simon

--- ustech@dlink.com wrote:
        Dear Simon,

Products:   DWL-650
        Operating System:  Linux

Thank you for contacting D-Link Tech Support!

There is more then 1 version of the DWL-650. The
        version is on the bottom of the card.

DWL-650         Supports Linux
             DWL-650H        Does NOT support Linux
             DWL-650K1       Does NOT support Linux
             DWL-650L1       Does NOT support Linux

Thank you for networking with D-Link.

Sincerely,
        Randy Juber
        D-Link Technical Support Team

After seeing on your site that the DWL-650 was
        supported in linux, I bought the card. But it
        appears that I have a newer version of the 650. ( I
        do not have the 650+), but my version of the card
        doesnt appear to be supported.

I have also seen complaints surrounding the linux
        community and the 650+, does the latest version of
        the 650 use the same chipset as the 650+? Can you
        verify that the latest version of the 650 does in
        fact work in linux?

Thanks for any assistance.

Sincerely

Simon Chatfield

• David Petruncola

That's what I was afraid of, so we now know that there are at least 3 differnt chipsets, possibly 4.

I was able to do a search on my FCC ID #  & there was an internal picture of the card. It wasn't real clear, but I could make out the  ADM logo. (mine is the K1 version).

I have found that someone is working on FreeBSD drivers for the ADMtek chip, so their may be hope yet for that one.

I suggested to Dlink that they update their FAQ to reflect the non-working status of their current version of the DWL 650. Last I checked they hadn't.

Dave

• David Petruncola

A correction:
            Mine is the DWL-650 L1  H/W A1 
            also
            FCC ID = KA2DWL-650V2

I suggest we start ID'ing these cards by FCC #, since different chipsets *should* have different #'s

Dave

• Simon Chatfield

Simon Chatfield - 2003-03-12

I don't have mine on hand, so I can't quote the FCC. But D-Link said you could ID on the version number as I'm sure you saw in their response to me.

• David Petruncola

Umm, yeah I saw that, of course, but we both seem to have L1 models.

When I plug my FCC# in here:
                http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
                & go to "exhibits">"internal photos" The ADMTek logo is visible on the chip.

Yet they have told you it's a TI chip.

So Dlink either lied to you, or the FCC, or this may be even more complicated than it seems at first.

I'm pretty sure that the FCC#'s would HAVE to be different if you have a TI chip ( unless they are functional equivalents).  No harm in verifying when you get a chance.

I just checked Dlink support & they have changed the ID page for the 650 since my last visit ...now there is no mention of the 2nd H/W version of the L1 model.

They have also updated their FAQ.

Dave

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-03-23

Hi,

Tried all the things in this thread, with a DWL-650 "ear" antenna (Rev: I2)
      not an H or + or anything, oldschool d-link card.  Using the orinoco
      drivers, and set /etc/modules.conf with the option 'ignore_cis_vcc=1'
      also recompiled the kernel (2.4.18) so that wireless extentions are on, but
      all the other PCMCIA drivers are off.

Also recompiled pcmcia-cs 3.2.4 ... it ALMOST works! I get a high beep and
      the drivers load find... and lsmod looks like they are working..  then
      a low-beep and this message "orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed"

Any suggestions?

here is a tail of the syslog, also just noticed that it says this line:

eth0: failed to read power management period!

Is this an apm problem, and not a pcmcia problem, the only function I have
      enabled in apm, is "screen blanking"?

j.

Mar 22 12:28:36 desiree kernel: PnP: PNP BIOS version 1.0, entry at f0000:9fcf, dseg at 0
      Mar 22 12:28:36 desiree kernel: Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
      Mar 22 12:28:36 desiree kernel:   Intel i82365sl B step ISA-to-PCMCIA at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00
      Mar 22 12:28:36 desiree kernel:     host opts [0]: none
      Mar 22 12:28:36 desiree kernel:     ISA irqs (scanned) = 3,7,9,10,11,15 status change on irq 15
      Mar 22 12:28:37 desiree /usr/sbin/cron[185]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
      Mar 22 12:28:37 desiree /usr/sbin/cron[186]: (CRON) STARTUP (fork ok)
      Mar 22 12:28:37 desiree /usr/sbin/cron[186]: (CRON) INFO (Skipping @reboot jobs -- not system startup)
      Mar 22 12:28:38 desiree modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
      Mar 22 12:28:38 desiree modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3
      Mar 22 12:29:30 desiree cardmgr[175]: socket 0: D-Link DWL-650 11Mbps 802.11b WLAN Card
      Mar 22 12:29:30 desiree kernel: cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: clean.
      Mar 22 12:29:30 desiree cardmgr[175]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: hermes.c: 4 Dec 2002 David Gibson <hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au>
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: orinoco.c 0.13b (David Gibson <hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: orinoco_cs.c 0.13b (David Gibson <hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: clean.
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: eth0: Station identity 001f:0004:0001:0003
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: eth0: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 1.3.4
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: eth0: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: eth0: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: eth0: WEP supported, 104-bit key
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: eth0: MAC address 00:05:5D:A6:E5:46
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: eth0: Station name "Prism  I"
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: hermes @ IO 0x100: Card removed while waiting for command completion.
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: eth0: failed to read power management period!
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed
      Mar 22 12:29:31 desiree kernel: orinoco_lock() called with hw_unavailable (dev=c0846000)
      Mar 22 12:29:32 desiree cardmgr[175]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

• JW

JW - 2003-04-10

I'm not sure where the problem lies (linux newbie) but I got the oldschool ear dwl-650 to work as follows:

Using redhat 7.3 kernel 2.4.18-3
      Checked kernel source and unchecked pcmcia-cs during installation

Installed pcmcia-cs-3.1.34. Used snax orinoco patch. Made sure the patched drivers were copied to /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/net/wireless.

Edited /etc/pcmcia/config and made sure the card was binding orinoco_cs.

I have since found that you can also wlan-ng drivers. I used 0.1.15.

s/c rolla

• David Petruncola

For what it's worth, ADMTek now has drivers for the 8211 chip:
      http://www.admtek.com.tw/download/ADM8211.htm

Supposedly binaries for Redhat plus source code for other distros.

I haven't tried them yet, as I'm pretty much a newb & have never compiled anything  (so even if I tried & failed, it might not be the drivers fault ;o)  )

I still have doubts about which chip(s) is (are) in these newer 650's, so proceed at your own risk. I still feel that the FCC ID # is probably going to be the most reliable means to ID these cards, as I was unimpressed with my contact with the dlink tech support.

If anyone gets this working on the newer 650's, please report back here.

Dave

• David Petruncola

http://aluminum.sourmilk.net/adm8211/

These open source drivers are working fine on my ADMTek based DWL650.

Just be careful to choose a version compatible with whatever kernel you run.

Dave