FAB MECANICS and OUTLINES

Anonymous
2010-01-11
2013-05-29
  • Anonymous - 2010-01-11

Hello

Is it complicated to support some features for internal cut out and external outline other than squarre?

One work out is to use two layers ( then not more 6 layouts remains available ) and use them for drawing the cut-outs and for drawing/printing information.

For that purpose some features are usefull
    * option to exclude a layer ( or a predefined layer ) from all checkings as the information layer would have make short circuits
    * option to merge the cut-out and the information into the fab and not issued them explicitely in an export
    * option to detect all lines or arcs terminating exactely on the outline of the cut-out, to group them by pairs begin/end, and to remove the drawing of the outline line in between of the fab layer.
    * option to have larger sizes on a layer ( the information ), it can be top and right only, in case of a fab merging the text over the pcb will be moved up accordingly.

Regards

PS Also is it possible to have a squarre outline ( even optional on compilation ) of 10 mils on all layers other than the fab?

• Anonymous - 2010-01-15

Just name the layer "outline" (I also suggest searching the gEDA-user mailing list archives and PCB documentation for "outline").

Regards

• Anonymous - 2010-01-28

Searching for outline in the documentation does not produce relevant result ( I did it before posting ). I am afraid many people does nice think but lost in the code.

That is nice as it draws the fab with one unique line width.

However some problems still exists:
    * if a line or some text passes through a pad the rat line generation draws a line from or to an outline line.
    * since now all the planes are bigger, if there are pads or lines outside the circuit, the DRC does not see them

The gerbert export does not have an outline on all planes

I think the ouline should be excluded from the rat lines and DRC

What do you think about adding an optional attribute in the file to tell the offset and the size of the circuit itself. For now I can edit by hand. The behavior will be
    * If the attribute is not present, nothing changes
    * these 4 values are used to draw a square outline on all the planes except the fab and the outline
    * an outline is drawn on the fab but each time the line touch an ending line or arc on the outline plane, a new line is started. By this way I can remove unwanted lines with gerbv.
    * DRC warms against any pad, via, or hole outside it in the outline plane

Also it can be nice to have an outline for cutting lines and ( let's say ) outline_silk for the data. These two planes can be merged in the gerbert export but only the first one goes into the fab

I could have get a look to the code and make some modifications, but I don't know all the details of the GNU licence. I have to make my modifications public, but if the maintainer does not want it for any reason ( outside very strict coding styles, plan to rewrite some part and don't want more features etc… ), what happened? Do I have to maintained a new fork project on SF?

Cheers

• Anonymous - 2010-02-08

> Searching for outline in the documentation does not produce relevant result
    > ( I did it before posting ). I am afraid many people does nice think but lost in the code.

Sorry for that. the documentation for PCB is sparsed and in many parts outdated.

> * if a line or some text passes through a pad the rat line
    >  generation draws a line from or to an outline line.

This is a bug. thanks for catching. I think I'll try to write a patch.

> * since now all the planes are bigger, if there are pads or lines
    > outside the circuit, the DRC does not see them

This is a missing feature. I have no idea about how to implement it.
    probably it is not crucially useful.

> The gerbert export does not have an outline on all planes

There should be an option for the exporter. if not, you may want to
    try my patchset: http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-pcb/dti.git/shortlog/refs/heads/gerber

> What do you think about adding an optional attribute
    > in the file to tell the offset and the size of the circuit itself.

I think the outline layer is more flexible.

> Also it can be nice to have an outline for cutting lines
    > and ( let's say ) outline_silk for the data.

Probably it should be done in a more general way:
    the layers should have attributes about their copperness
    and other properties. it is included in a long-term PCB
    development plan.

> I could have get a look to the code and make some modifications,
    > but I don't know all the details of the GNU licence. I have to make
    > my modifications public,

You have not if you don't distribute the program. if you make the code available
    you should agree your modifications are GPL, too (if you don't, other people can't
    use and redistribute them)

> but if the maintainer does not want it for any reason
    > ( outside very strict coding styles, plan to rewrite some
    > part and don't want more features etc… ), what happened?

Either someone adjusts them to please the maintainers,
    or they'll rot eventually (or something very unusual will happen).

> Do I have to maintained a new fork project on SF?

If you need the changes, you'll have to maintain them for yourself.
    you have not to do it on SF; you have to provide the full source
    only if you distribute the binaries.

Thanks

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks