Menu

Message about "consistency issues"

Help
Bill Osler
2014-04-13
2014-04-14
  • Bill Osler

Bill Osler - 2014-04-13

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Professional and as part of that I updates Password Safe from 3.21 to 3.33.
    The first time I opened my password database with I received a message that "consistency issues" were found with a suggestion that I make a backup copy of the database. Even though the database was opened as "Read Only" the program asked if I wanted to save the changes when I exited. I did "Save Changes".
    The message did not reappear the next time I opened Password Safe.
    When I compared the updated file password file with the version from prior to the program update there was a list of 4 entries that nominally had changes in the Password History list, but as best I can tell the history list was empty for all of the entries.
    The program seems to be functioning correctly in the limited testing I have done since the update.
    I could not find any information about the error message in the help file.
    Do I need to be concerned about the message?
    Thanks.

• Jeff Woods

Jeff Woods - 2014-04-14

From http://pwsafe.org/2012.shtml

Changes to Existing Features in V3.28
    Databases are now always validated when opened. The Manage->Validate menu item has therefore been removed.

That is one of my favorite recent(ish) changes to PasswordSafe.

Bill, it sounds like there was a minor problem with your database that 3.21 didn't detect but that 3.33 did and corrected when you saved.

Last edit: Jeff Woods 2014-04-14
  • Jeff Woods

Jeff Woods - 2014-04-14

I caught my cut&paste error just after sending my previous reply, edited the reply but it appears that SourceForge does not email out the updated version. Just to be clear, the block quote I intended is repeated here:

Changes to Existing Features in V3.28
    Databases are now always validated when opened. The Manage->Validate menu item has therefore been removed.

Sorry for any confusion.