Autotype hangs PasswordSafe database box

Help
Spinner912
2012-11-06
2013-08-03
  • Spinner912

Spinner912 - 2012-11-06

I have been using PasswordSafe for Linux v0.1 (3688) beta 1, on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for some time. Autotype and all other functions operate correctly. I have now upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and the existing version of PasswordSafe all of a sudden hung following an attempt to use Autotype. By hung, I mean the top row of menu items become greyed out and nothing works, either by keystrokes or mouse clicks. (All other functions of the machine work normally, but the PasswordSafe database box cannot be removed). In fact, the only way to clear the PasswordSafe box from the display is to reboot the entire computer.

In an attempt to fix this problem, I upgraded to the latest version of PasswordSafe for Ubuntu (passwordsafe-ubuntu-0.8BETA.i686.deb) but exactly the same problem exists.

All other functions of PasswordSafe appear to work OK with the exception of Autotype.

For what it is worth, the old Linux version which I was using on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is currently still operating on another old machine machine which has also been upgraded to 12.04 LTS with no apparent problems suggesting the problem may only exists on this machine.

Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? I can still use the new version, but only by copying and pasting the username and password manually. Rather annoying after using autotype for so many years.

• Spinner912

Spinner912 - 2012-11-09

To simplify the above confusing description, I have now determined that the problem only exists when attempting to use the new passwordsafe-ubuntu-0.8BETA.i686.deb on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

The problem can be more easily described as PasswordSafe hangs at the normal Lock time, or after Autotype has been attempted. Autotype never works.

The only way to remove the PassswordSafe database box from the system (it cannot be used after it has failed - no options are available and it is unresponsive to any click either by mouse or keyboard), is to enter System Monitor->Processes, and actually stop the PasswordSafe process - not a desirable solution, but the alternative is to restart the entire system, which can be rather tiresome.

Upon restarting PasswordSafe after having stopped the process, one is initially confronted with an information dialogue stating "Deleted stale lock file '/home/name//.pwsafe/pwsafe.lck'." (Note the odd back slash sequence).

Has anyone any suggestions as to what may be the problem, or more importantly, how to overcome it?

• Tranas

Tranas - 2012-11-09

"The problem can be more easily described as PasswordSafe hangs at the normal Lock time, or after Autotype has been attempted. Autotype never works."

With our installation of 12.04 I can confirm that autotype does not work, however there are no issues with PWsafe hanging when autotype fails. We use a master password [+ StartupMaster 1.3 addon] with Thunderbird, and the failed autotype simply closes the master password dialogue box. Copy-Paste works as expected.

HTH

• Tranas

Tranas - 2012-11-09

Possible issue with upgrade as opposed to a new install of 12.04? Ubuntu forums reflect a lot of complaints about upgrades trashing what used to be a stable system. I am about to try an install of the beta on 12.04 - any suggestions that might help?

• Spinner912

Spinner912 - 2012-11-22

You have probably already found the issue.

It seems that it is simpler than I had initially thought. As best I can describe the problem, the term "hangs" which I use, actually describes a situation where the app is no longer usable or able to be controlled by pointer or keyboard input. The menu bar in fact becomes greyed out.

This occurs either after attempting to use autotype (which definitely does not function in this version), or at the normal "time out" point. Normal cut and paste works just fine until that "timeout" point.

The ONLY ways to then remove the pwsafe dialogue box is to either restart the system (a bit dramatic), or go to SysMonitor and end the pwsafe process. Thereafter everything reverts back to where it was at the outset.

• Saurav Ghosh

Saurav Ghosh - 2012-11-21

Can you try building PasswordSafe yourself for your distribution, and file a bug if that exhibits these issues? See the instructions in README.LINUX.DEVELOPERS.txt

• Spinner912

Spinner912 - 2012-11-22

This is just a wee bit adventurous for me. I will study the text a few more times and see if I can pluck up enough courage to give it a go.

• kev

kev - 2012-11-25

ok, hmmm technology aye

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Spinner912 spinner912@users.sf.net wrote:

This is just a wee bit adventurous for me. I will study the text a few
        more times and see if I can pluck up enough courage to give it a go.

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
        https://sourceforge.net/p/passwordsafe/discussion/134801/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
        https://sourceforge.net/auth/prefs/

--
        Evan Chadwick
        Next Avatar Course - December 8th Ballarat, Vic, Australia
        Get in touch for a free information session
        +64 425 271 875
        http://www.theavatarcourse.com/en/courses.html
        "Courage tempered with compassion is unstoppable, and as long as you find
        that place within you, where you are an invincible spirit, and from that
        place assume personal responsibility for the experience you are creating,
        your courage will not falter." - HP, Day 1 Wizards 2012

• Giuliano Lotta

Giuliano Lotta - 2013-01-12

I'm using ubuntu LTS 12.04.01.
    I can confirm the same problem with beta 0.8 and beta 0.9

The problem was not present in the previous versions.

• misha

misha - 2013-08-02

I can confirm this issue occurs on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, with pwsafe beta 0.91 built from source.

If you provide me with some directions, I can try to debug it on my side.

• misha

misha - 2013-08-03

This also happens in gnome-shell, so it isn't a Unity-only thing.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks