confused about "generate"

Help
2013-10-27
2013-10-29
  • John Clarke

John Clarke - 2013-10-27

Just started using the Password Safe. Everything is clear except the "generate" tab. If clicked, it creates a new password, which is obviously different from the one I put in and which doesn't work for the site, as expected. I don't see any instructions about the "generate" function. I am assuming I should just leave it alone for my uses. Many thanks for any references or advice.

• Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2013-10-28

The "Generate" button is meant to be used when you want to set the password for a site to something that's totally random, the idea being that this is the strongest password, and PasswordSafe remembers it for you. It also makes it easy to have a different, unrelated, password for each site, which is a Good Thing, security-wise.

The "Password Policy" tab allows you to control how the password is generated, e.g., how long it is, how many letters, digits, etc., but you can usually ignore this, and just modify the generated password directly if it doesn't suite your needs.

• John Clarke

John Clarke - 2013-10-29

I think I understand. So if I choose "generate", the password I have typed in will be changed into a generated one, more secure. Then it will be my job to take that generated password and use it to replace the one I currently use for that site.
    But if I decide to be less secure, I just ignore the "generate" tab, and my previous password will just be kept. In that case I guess I am just using the program as a secure "safe" for my own passwords.
    Many thanks, Rony.
    Jack