Launching URL's

Help
Gamarex
2005-03-09
2012-09-17
  • Gamarex
    Gamarex
    2005-03-09

Before suggesting a future feature, I should say that Password Safe 2.09 is the most elegant, intuitive and well-conceived utilitity I have ever used. One more feature would make it sublime: the ability to launch the URL users will be entering their usernames and passwords into. Is that something that is being considered?

• RandyHa11
      RandyHa11
      2005-03-09

That feature exists:

Add the URL to the notes section, like:
      https://sourceforge.net/account

then when you right-click on the entry the context
      menu will include "Browse to URL" as an option.
      That option is missing when no URL is in the note.

I looked for where this is discussed in the help but
      couldn't find it. I read it somewhere before, maybe
      in the forums? Anyway, it's an important feature
      that should be included in the help if it's not.

If you put more than one URL it only uses the last
      one it finds.

I'll place a vote for a short-cut key for this feature
      while I'm here. Ctrl-B is mapped to backup, so
      perhaps Ctrl-U?

• Gamarex
      Gamarex
      2005-03-09

Thanks for responding so quickly. I stand corrected. Password Safe is already sublime!

I agree with you. This is too important a feature not to appear in the Help documentation. I think I read every page twice looking for this feature and couldn't find it. I hadn't been using the right-click menu, so I had no idea that the feature existed. I don't belive that the Help documentation even includes a screenshot of the right-click menu.

As a user, I think Ctrl-L (for Launch) would br better than Ctrl-U, to avoid confusion with Usernames. It would also be more transparent for the user if "T" (for Autotype) and "L" (for Launch) were included as clickable icons on the toolbar.

The only other feature I miss as a new user is some programmable hotkey method for maximizing the program when it is idling in the system tray.

Thanks again for getting back to me. This is truly an exceptional program that you're a part of.

Randall

• RandyHa11
      RandyHa11
      2005-03-10

Ah, I wondered why you wanted a key to "maximize" pwsafe -- now I understand.
      What you describe is usually referred to as "restore". "Maximize" generally
      means to make the window size as large as the entire desktop (which didn't seem
      especially useful to me for pwsafe :-)

I agree, it would be useful to have a hotkey which would restore pwsafe
      to the desktop when it is minimized.

I also like the idea of having new buttons on the toolbar for "Browse to URL"
      and "Autotype". It makes it easier to invoke them as well as increasing their
      visibility to new users.

There is a separate place for feature requests, but Rony often sees things
      here and comments (or does them anyway). :-)

• Gamarex
      Gamarex
      2005-03-10

Forgive my ignorance. Back in the DOS days, I actually knew quite a bit, but the computer world has long since passed me by. "Restore" is definitely what I meant.

Is there any way on SourceForge a lowly end-user like me can actulally submit feature recommendations or at least monitor the communications of the developers?

Your process fascinates me. However it is that you work together, the results are, as I wrote before, uniquely elegant.

Randall

• Gamarex
      Gamarex
      2005-03-10

I'm beginning to learn my way around SourceForge, so don't waste your time trying to write me a primer. Thanks again for listening.

Randall