How to install Password safe in TAILS

Help
drc999
2014-01-14
2014-01-22
  • drc999

drc999 - 2014-01-14

Hi everybody!

I would like to install Password Safe in TAIL 0.22 to an usb drive so i can use this drive everytime i use TAILS to store my passes.

Is it possible at all?

I tried to do this with the passwordsafe-debian-0.92BETA.i686.deb file from your website in the terminal with apt commands. I even figured out how to get and install the missing packages which are need for PassSafe. After then i tried to install the .deb file and i got this:

amnesia@amnesia:~/Persistent$ sudo dpkg -i passwordsafe-debian-0.92BETA.i686.deb
    [sudo] password for amnesia:
    (Reading database ... 107025 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace passwordsafe 0.92BETA (using passwordsafe-debian-0.92BETA.i686.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement passwordsafe ...
    Setting up passwordsafe (0.92BETA) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    amnesia@amnesia:~/Persistent$

and now i really dont know what happened. Is it installed? If yes then where and how can i use it? How can i set it to install itself to an usb drive?

help :(
    and im really new to unix/linux based systems so pls be nice with me :D :D :D

• drc999

drc999 - 2014-01-22

hmm, i did not get too much help here as it seems :D

nevermind, i just realized in the meantime that keepassX password safe is a long time integrated element in the TAILS incongnito system and it is working nicely and smoothly so i do not need password safe under TAILS anymore.

please close this, thanks

• NoVA_User

NoVA_User - 2017-10-12

I thought I'd "dust off" this OLD thread as I have the EXACT same question today

Does anyone have a simple "cookbook" as to how to install and run the Linux version of Password Safe under the current versions (3.x) of Tails? https://tails.boum.org/

I indeed HAVE successfully gone thru the multi-step conversion process involved in converting from Password Safe to Tails' built-in KeyPass ...

... but I'd rather not have to repeat that process every time I make a change to an entry in my Windows-based Password Safe.

I'm still a relative Noob to Linux, so please be kind and try to use "small words". <wink>

Last edit: NoVA_User 2017-10-12
  • MrMe

MrMe - 2017-10-13

Can you use Wine (https://www.winehq.org) in Tails? Last time I tried Windows PwS running in Wine, it worked fairly well; though there were a few issues that you could maybe live with.

• Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2017-10-15

I've just tried the following:
    1. Add an administrator to Tails upon startup
    2. After Tails starts, open a terminal
    3. From the terminal, run the command 'sudo apt-get install passwordsafe' (You will be prompted for the admin password you set up in step 1)
    4. This will fetch and install a (slightly old) version of PasswordSafe
    5. You should then be able to run the program by typing 'pwsafe' at the shell prompt

• NoVA_User

NoVA_User - 7 days ago

Rony:

THANKS.

I'll "give it a try" ...

... appreciate the assist.

• NoVA_User

NoVA_User - 6 days ago

Rony:

Unfortunately, no success while running Tails 3.2.

Although I did confirm that I was connected to the internet via Tor ... all I was able to generate was a "Unable to locate package passwordsafe" message.

Copy of terminal transcript follows:

amnesia@amnesia:~$ sudo apt-get install passwordsafe

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
    Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for amnesia:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package passwordsafe
    amnesia@amnesia:~$

Last edit: NoVA_User 6 days ago