password lockup

Help
Les
2005-12-15
2012-09-17
  • Les

Les - 2005-12-15

I have install 2.14 twice by mstake. I create a couple accounts. I deleted one install and since my first reboot everything I click on in my desktop or control panel wants a password. The problem is I have not created a password for these areas. I only setup my e-mail accounts. I am using win xp pro What is wrong and how do I get rid of this program to possibly fix it.

• Les

Les - 2005-12-16

Hi Rony

Everything that has an exe file starts password safe. There is no uninstall for this program that I see. It has taken over my computer, everytime I try to go to add remove as soon as I click on it password safe starts. I scanned for virus but nothing. Only option left is format my drive. I downloaded the right program I hope it was 2.14 with fixes.

• Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2005-12-16

Strange.
        Try just deleting the PasswordSafe executable, pwsafe.exe

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-17

Les,

Was there anything listed for the .exe extension?

• Les

Les - 2005-12-17

Jeff,

There isn't any exe extentions in the whole list.

• Les

Les - 2005-12-19

Jeff,

Thanks for all your help, everything is pretty much back to normal and working fine. Password is working fine as well hopefully thing stay that way.

Thanks again
      Les

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-19

Les,

No problem. Glad I could help. Enjoy pwsafe, it's a great program.

Jeff

• Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2005-12-15

Hmm. PasswordSafe doesn't lock the desktop etc. with passwords. I'm not quite sure what's happening, but it looks like PasswordSafe is somehow being run whenever you click on something. I suggest you uninstall it completely from your system, and then install it again from the beginning.

Let me know how this worksout.

Rony

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-17

One other quick check. Open up any folder in explore (the windows file manager not the web browser). From there click on the Tools menu and select Folder Options.

Once this is open, click on the "File Types" tab. In this window verify the exe extension. So look under registered file types at the extensions column and see if exe is listed and see if passwordsafe is associated w/ it. If it is, select it and click delete.

Restart your machine and reinstall pwsafe.

Not sure if this is your problem, but its worth a shot

• Les

Les - 2005-12-17

I tried to delete pwsafe.exe but nothing happen the programs came up with errors state exe file con not find even though it is in the sting they show.

jeff I looked though that list and did see any exe extensions or pwsafe. All that was close is password backup with extention PSW.

What else could it be?

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-17

I'm stummped. I look into it more and get back to you.

• Les

Les - 2005-12-18

Jeff,

I right clicked on the pwsafe exe file went to properties then went to compatibility tab click on learn more about compatibility in the documentation it had a link to a compatibility wizard, I ran it there were some of the program that are not working so I clicked on one like it asked then went through the rest of the wizard with that file and now that program works. It is msn messenger.not all the programs were in that list but it still doesn't explain the issue of the exe files. Could it be a compatibility problem I am using winxp pro?

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-18

Okay, need to make sure of a few things:

First, are you sure it's password safe coming up when you try to open up the control panel shortcuts?

Secondly, are you logging in as an administrator, power user, or user?

Third, describe in as much detail as possible what your screen is showing you (i.e. text, error messages, etc...)

There is no compatibility issue w/ XP pro.

• Les

Les - 2005-12-18

Yes, it's password safe that keeps comming up when I click on any program or exe program file even the link to add/remove in control panel.

Yes, I'm logging in as administrator

There is no error message that only happen when I deleted the pwsafe.exe file. When I did that the message said the path to that file is in correct or does not exsist. Even though it is there right where the path states for some reason the computer does not recognise the exe file. It's acting like all exe files are pwsafe.exe because thats what starts up with every program or exe file I click on. The only program that works is microsoft outlook for some reason.

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-18

This is very strange. It sounds very similar to a virus. When you downloaded pwsafe did you verify the md5sum of the installer?

MD5sums can be found here - http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=512678

Do you remember what mirror site you downloaded it from?

What anti-virus program are you using?

Besides Add/Remove programs, give me a few examples of the other programs that bring up pwsafe. You mentioned the control panel earlier, does it bring up pwsafe to get into the control panel or is it just running things such as Add/Remove programs once inside that prompt you?

• Les

Les - 2005-12-18

I did run my mcafee and it found no virus. I don't recall the md5sum install but I'm pretty sure there was an installer because it went though the steps, you know which director do you want to install in.

I think it was New York mirror site.

I can get into the control panel, system maintence most everything but add/remove, my mcafee is not running only if I restart the computer not hard boot. I thought it might be a virus to because it is attacking all the exe files. I ran a scan but nothing came up.

Programs not running outlook express, internet explore, msn messenger, all office xp, movie maker, note pad just about everything......

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-18

Try this and tell me what happens

Start->Run-> Type notepad and hit okay. Does the samething happen?

• Les

Les - 2005-12-18

Yes, Password comes up

I ran mcafee again and nothing came up

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-18

Okay, I would boot into safe mode and try to remove password safe from there. Before windows starts to boot (so immediately after BIOS Post) press F8 and you will get the menu to boot into safe mode. Try to go into the control panel from there and Add/Remove from there and see what happens. Also, remove and reinstall McAfee. Remove from Safe Mode, but reinstall in normal mode.

• Les

Les - 2005-12-18

i did what you said only when i logon as myself the same thing happens when i logon as administrator i can get into add/remove but pwsafe is not in the list to remove.

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-18

Okay, what it actually sounds like is that your profile was corrupted. Log in as "Administrator" and create a new account. Try to do the things you are having problems w/ in the new account. If everything works fine redownload and install pwsafe 2.14 from the new account. Test it and make sure it works for you. See if the issues come up again. If not. Transfer all of your documents and settings to the new account and delete the old one.

• Les

Les - 2005-12-19

well i did what you said and created a new account. i reinstalled pwsafe. Everything is working ok so far no problems like before. One thing I did different is when downloading pwsafe is instead of the first download file on the list I chose the one for windows 32 bit. Not sure if it made any difference.

The file tranfer should I do it through the file transfer wizard? Do I need to be in the old user account first or new one? Will the coruption be copied over and do the same thing?

• Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2005-12-19

Hm,

If by "the first download file" you mean the one named "JavaPasswordSafe", then that probably explains what caused the problem.
        I'll have to mark this as a Beta version - it's more for Unix compatability than mainstrem Windows use.

• Jeff

Jeff - 2005-12-19

For the file transfer I would log into the new account and use windows explorer to drag and drop what ever files you want to transfer. I would only backup up data files (i.e. word doc, etc..) I would not copy over system settings from the old account (look of your desktop, shortcuts, etc...) I would set those up manually to aviod transfering what ever corrupted the original profile.

Your documents will probably be in C:\Documents and Settings\old user name\My Documents

You can drag and drop the contents of this folder to your new accouts My Documents at C:\Documents and Settings\new user name\My Documents

Start Windows explorer by right-clicking on the start menu and click explore.

Hope this helps

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks