THE Alternative to corrupt database probs

Sky
2006-10-31
2012-09-17
  • Sky

Sky - 2006-10-31

Sorry to have to suggest this, but use KeePass.

I've used password safe for a couple years and liked it, but when I got into trouble not being able to move from a 3 Beta to final code and was told to install older versions, run exports, imports, play with columns...I said screw that. I even saw somewhere that the Beta was NOT intended for real work, so basically too bad. Ouch, that sounds like an Alpha to me - maybe it shouldn't have been released...or if it was a genuine bug, give people a decent way out.

Anyway I'm quite happy with KeePass (http://keepass.sourceforge.net/) It works good and has polish.

• Sky

Sky - 2006-10-31

Ya. I'm a total newb dude. Tracking my passwords are hardly mission critical, but I would expect that running a beta wouldn't impact my ability to upgrade, but maybe in my tiny understanding of the computing world that's how it is. If you run a piece of beta software you cant upgrade.

I don't know one developer or techie that isn't running some beta software.

Let me ask you this, do you have any beta software installed? Do you expect to have to print out all your docs from your beta word processor and retype them in to the final version or do you just suffer from mental diarrhea? Idiot.

• Ron

Ron - 2006-10-31

You sure sound like a total newb to me! Beta software is for testing, and that is what I (and the other developers I know) use it for. You expect there to be problems (that's why it's called Beta!). And, I don't type in documents I need to save into a Beta word processor. Nor would I keep the only copy of my password database in Beta software. Etc., etc. Only an "idiot" (or a newb) would!

• Sky

Sky - 2006-10-31

Whatever, there is no reasoning with you. I lost nothing! I could continue to use the beta for years to come. I expect issues - just not issues preventing upgrading.

The point is I found a better alternative and am sharing it with any other "newb idiots" who expect reasonable performance from a beta piece of software.

I think where we differ in opinion is what constitutes 'beta'. Don't get me wrong, I've released software that's had bugs, but if a piece of software I released had no upgrade path I'd call it alpha or have a bigger disclaimer. Guess that's the difference between free and commercial.

btw...you never said if you run any beta software on your machine and expect it to work :)

• Spock

Spock - 2006-10-31

As a software engineer myself, I must say that I do agree with the other fellow on here that states not to devote anything "live" or desired to be "live" data to a beta program, nor trust that it will remain intact.

Beta programs for software have caveats, and the risk associated with using any beta is that you may not be able to use the things produced or maintained with such a release level.

In fact, even Microsoft goes through this same sort of thing, and recommends that before installing any final product that you may have been running a Beta copy of, that you uninstall the beta copy first. They have also had occassions when you couldn't take something developed with a beta and used it with the end product.

Please refrain from being abusive to those on the board here. Nobody is trying to pass judgement on you. Simply that you may have expectations of beta software releases that are unrealistic.

If you prefer to use a different product, then that is up to you. I would recommend that in future, if you wish to use a beta of anything, only use copies of files that you don't mind losing if the product has unexpected problems.

One trueism of software development is that often the most dangerous bug isn't discovered until very late in the game.

Caveat emptore

• Sky

Sky - 2006-10-31

Thanks, I've experienced some of Microsoft's beta issues (see Windows XP). I'm no newb and have been a developer for 15 years (and not afraid to trade commercial credentials if need be). I just like to run cutting edge (Vista since B2, Office 2007 etc...for non critical personal advancement of course) even with the problems.

I appreciate your comments and I agree with and respect your opinion. Somehow you don't say anything different than that other dude, but don't sound like a arrogant no-it-all and that's the difference.

• Ron

Ron - 2006-10-31

Sorry if my original post sounded that way to you; it certainly wasn't my intention. I just thought it was strange that someone would complain about problems with Beta software - that's the whole point of having a Beta, to find the problems.

Also, I thought I did answer your question re: my use of Beta software. I think where we differ is that I am less trusting of it than you are.

• Spock

Spock - 2006-10-31

I appreciate your point of view. And having trouble with any software can be very frustrating. Hardware too, for that matter.

I've been in the industry for 26 years now, and actually had worked with computers before that. I actually have worked on computers with magnetic rod memory (the predecessor to magnetic core), so I can tell you that the problems we have today with software development, in general, have always been around.

The thing to keep in mind here is that very few people mean to be insulting with comments on here. Not everyone phrases things in a manner that is diplomatic all the time. I've even made the occassional comment that I thought would be taken in the spirit of humor, and found to my dismay that quite the opposite was the result.

In any case, I see you said you didn't lose your data, which is great. I would recommend you try out the latest release though, then make your decison based on that. 3.0.4 is what I'm running, and it seems to be just fine.

• Sky

Sky - 2006-11-01

Well said Spock, it is easy to take a tone or misinterpret. I've been with the product long enough to give it another shot. I will try the current release and see how it goes!

• Sky

Sky - 2006-10-31

Point well taken and I do concur. Maybe I read too much into your comments and got more ruffled than need be. As the other reader pointed out I apologize if I took your comments personally and overreacted. Beta is beta after all.

• Ron

Ron - 2006-10-31

Are you new to computing? There is an old adage in computers that says NEVER trust ANYTHING mission-critical to Beta software! I don't see how you can blame the developer(s) for you not knowing this VERY basic rule!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks