Menu

Password Creation by drag & drop Not Supported.

2021-04-17
2021-05-17
  • Sunny Saini

Sunny Saini - 2021-04-17

Drag and Drop of passwords out of the application is supported but Drag & Drop passwords from a web browser to the password field of this application, while creating a new entry, is not supported. Some times passwords contain awkward characters that may be error prone to type are offered by some websites that must be saved in Password Safe Program. Using Copy Paste is dangerous and must be prevented. Thus, for security reason it is very important to allow dropping text in the password field.

Most password programs offer drag & drop text on the password field, for example Keepass.

Hence, author is requested to implement drag & drop onto the password field of this application.

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2021-05-17

I don't really get your point about needing to drag text from the browser into the Password Safe program since you generally go from Password Safe to the browser. because any passwords I use, I always generate from Password Safe itself and then go into the browser. even on the occasion ill store text from the browser into the Password Safe program, one can just copy the text from the browser and paste it into the Password Safe program wherever you want to.

I always use the copy/paste (i.e. copy from password safe and paste in browser) function when using Password Safe and I have been using that since roughly 2005-2007 (I switched to Linux Mint in Jan 2019 though and the Windows database file works fine on the Linux version of Password Safe). because as long as your computer is not compromised it's probably not that big of a deal using copy/paste. because if your computer is compromised, then you got bigger issues to worry about at that point since I would tend to assume just about everything you do can't be trusted and the only way I would trust that system again is a proper clean installation of the OS (i.e. wipe the drive, then reinstall your operating system from bootable media (i.e. USB/DVD)). so given this info... one needs to make sure their computer is secure before doing any of this password stuff in the first place. so in other words, copy/paste is not really a real security risk (if it is, it's low enough not to be of real concern as you should be more concerned with keeping your system virus/malware free in the first place) because if that becomes a problem, your system is already compromised.

also, even once a person is done doing the basic copy/paste of a password from Password Safe to ones browser, I typically got in the habit of clearing the clipboard right after use... right click the open Password Safe program icon (NOT the open program window icon in taskbar but the one in the bottom right area of your taskbar closer to where it displays the current time) and select 'clear the clipboard'. even if you forget I think it automatically clears it upon minimize etc (see attached screenshot for a bit more info on 'Security' tab. it even has a option to 'Confirm copy of password to clipboard' for those who are a bit more cautious on clipboard use. NOTE: I am using Password Safe v1.13 on Linux Mint).

also, another tip... have two browsers installed and one for general use with some extensions installed you trust (for ad-blocking etc) and then the other browser with NO extensions installed and use it for higher sensitivity stuff temporarily. this should further lower risk.

also, Password Safe can be customized on how it generates passwords if you need to limit how it generates passwords. but in general... I make sure that all of the passwords generated with Password Safe contain at least one upper case letter, lower case letter, a number, a symbol which will make it harder to crack since if someone tries brute force they have to try basically every possible combination. also, unless a website really limits you, I suggest at least 20-characters in length which will be uncrackable for the foreseeable future since it should be around 131.1 bits of entropy which is similar in security to a 10-word passphrase using Diceware (i.e. "eff dot org/dice" using " EFF's Long Wordlist" text file) which is 129.2 bits of entropy. for measure... on Diceware it's suggested to use a minimum word length of six words which is 77,5bits of entropy.