Recording Questions and Answers

hhaake
2014-02-06
2014-02-06
  • hhaake

hhaake - 2014-02-06

Many sites (mainly financial) have additional authentication questions that have to be answered between the username and password. Often its the traditional "What is your mother's maiden name?".

It would be fantastic if Password Safe had the ability to record the question and answers to these questions in a structured format. Currently I store this information in the notes section. This takes an extra step to look up each time.

Before you ask, I need look them up for 2 reasons.
    1. There are questions that my wife answered that I don't know the answer to.
    2. I worry that these questions can be figured out by willing attackers, so I never answer them with the actual answer, but generate random answers. Therefore, I now have to store the answer in the notes to look it up each time.

If Password Safe stored these in a structured format, they could be added to the right click menu to look up a question and copy the answer into the form without having anybody see the answer.

Thanks for any consideration.

Hogan

• Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2014-02-06

I think you can get the functionality you want by using the Notes field of an entry and the autotype feature that allows you to specify the contents of a given row of the Notes be autotyped.
    Please look it up in the online help, and don't hesitate to ask if something's unclear.

Cheers,

Rony

• alan

alan - 2014-02-06

I "work around" this by creating a new group for this type of site.

E.g. I'd have a group called "MyBank",

The first entry in the group is called "1-PW" and contains auto-type instructions that fill in the account number & sort-code and password,

Subsequent entries are called things like "2-School", "3-PetsName", "4-MaidenName", "5-MemorableDate" etc. and contain the obvious answers possibly with specific auto-type strings (E.g. to fill in a date correctly).

HTH

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks