Best practice when changing passwords

2014-04-24
2014-04-24
  • Bruce Burson

Bruce Burson - 2014-04-24

I used Password Safe for years at work and have recently loaded it on my home PC. Great program! I let it generate all my passwords and I usually don't even know what they are. This can lead to a problem when changing my password on a site. Most sites ask for the old password and then the new. I paste the old password and then click Generate to get a new one. If the new password is rejected by the site and I have to start over, I've lost the old one. What is the best way to handle this? Is there any way to discard the newly-generated password and get back to the previous one?

Thanks in advance for suggestions. If this has already been discussed please point me in the right direction; I didn't find anything by searching.

• ouzo12

ouzo12 - 2014-04-24

Hi Bruce, I do the same. The way I handle it is I only press 'Apply' or 'OK'
    when the password is accepted by the site.

I have also enabled password history so that the last 5 passwords
    are kept (Manage -> Options -> Password History), so even if I press
    'Apply' or 'OK', I can get them back from the 'Additional' tab.

• Bruce Burson

Bruce Burson - 2014-04-24

Thanks ouzo12. I'll have to be more careful about using 'OK' 'Apply' or 'Cancel'. I did find in the help that double-clicking a line in the history copies that older password to the clipboard, and that would be a big help not having to display and then type one in.

I ran across one site that would not allow pasting into the new/confirm password fields. It's a good thing Password Safe lets you display the password if needed.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks