Menu

XP support

Mitch Ames
2016-10-01
2016-11-28
  • Mitch Ames

Mitch Ames - 2016-10-01

What's the story with support for XP?
    I've been using Password Safe on XP (and Windows 7) without any problems, upgrading to most new versions, but I recently updated from 3.38.2 to 3.40 and found that the latter did not work on XP. A search through the forums, and then https://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/files/passwordsafe/, found that 3.39 has an XP version - which was not previously required - but 3.40 does not. https://pwsafe.org/news.shtml does not mention dropping support for XP (or a separate binary), nor does ReleaseNotes.txt. ReadMe.txt in v3.40.0 says "The current version of Password Safe currently runs on Windows XP ..."

I understand that it may not be feasible to support XP forever, but it would be helpful if limitations - eg not running on XP, or requiring a separate binary - were mentioned in some or all of:
    -- the latest news and FAQ pages on the web site
    -- the release notes and readme files

Last edit: Mitch Ames 2016-10-01
  • Tim H

Tim H - 2016-10-04

Any news on this issue? I'm also running XP and encountered the same issue. I've gone back to 3.38.2 for now and I can live without 3.40.0, but I don't really want to miss out on future upgrades. :(

I realize that XP is considered unsafe, but I simply can't afford a new box right now and my ancient laptop won't run any newer versions of Windows. I may end up going to a Linux dual-boot as a way to extend it's life, but I'd still want PWS available on the Windows side, if at all possible.

PS: I filed a bug report on this, but I'm leaving this here for discussion purposes.

Last edit: Tim H 2016-10-05
  • Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2016-10-09

Sorry - I thought I'd be able to build an XP version of 3.40 over the weekend, but I'm encountering too many compatibility issues.

I'm going offline for a couple of weeks, hope to give it another try when I'm back, but this is taking up too much time for me to be able to do it on an ongoing basis - I'd much rather be working on enhancing PasswordSafe than struggling against Microsoft's end-of-support policies...

So either 3.38.2 or 3.40 will be the last PasswordSafe version to run Windows XP.

• Tim H

Tim H - 2016-10-15

I'm disappointed, but I understand. A possible solution for me (and maybe others?) just occurred to me -- is it possible to build the Linux version under Cygwin? I'm prepared to give it a try if there's a possibility that it will work, but I don't want to update my ancient (but working and tuned to my liking) Cygwin installation if there's no hope. I'm just looking for an answer of "it might work" or "there's no way", not something definitive.

Thanks.

• SomNamNa

SomNamNa - 2016-10-20

Tim H, see also here: https://sourceforge.net/p/passwordsafe/discussion/134801/thread/1c5039bd/#2fc1

Sorry to hear that 3.38.2 or 3.40 will be the last PasswordSafe version to run under Windows XP.

I've been using it since 3.13 (July 2008) so I hope you can find a solution that enables ongoing XP versions.

• ouzo12

ouzo12 - 2016-10-20

I use XP on some machine and I've gone back to 3.38.2 on them.
    There were problems with 3.40. After a while the pulldown menus became two lines tall
    (effectively vertically collapsed) and as wide as the screen.
    I didn't have time to troubleshoot it, and given the
    problem with the recent entries history, I rolled it back.
    I guess 3.38.2 is a perfectly good "legacy" version...

• Mitch Ames

Mitch Ames - 2016-11-28

So either 3.38.2 or 3.40 will be the last PasswordSafe version to run Windows XP.

Please update https://pwsafe.org/index.shtml, README.txt, https://pwsafe.org/news.shtml, ReleaseNotest.html and ReleaseNotes.txt accordingly. The first two include XP, and the remainder don't mention when support for XP was dropped. It's probably worth mentioning 3.39.0XP explicitly, because it's existence isn't otherwise obvious.

• Michael Lackner

Michael Lackner - 2017-08-31

I managed do compile the current Password Safe 3.43.0 with a v140_xp platform target using VS2015 by removing a few simple Windows 7 specific parts regarding the determining of the tray icon background color in src\ui\Windows\SetDBID.cpp. The offending call was Shell_NotifyIconGetRect(). I did that for both 32-bit XP (NT5.1) as well as the 64-bit x86 version (NT 5.2).

It does launch on XP and XP x64 now, but it can't even create or open a Safe file, it crashes immediately.

Would be nice to get a diff between 3.39.0 and its XP version (source, project settings etc.) to determine what needs to be changed for the code to run properly on XP. That way, somebody could maintain an XP / XP x64 backport of the current version.

Last edit: Michael Lackner 2017-08-31