HI all. First off, I want to thank everyone that works on PasswordSafe. It is a great program. I believe that I have been using it since version 2.0 when I found a link to it on Bruce Schneier's web page and have never had any problem. I like all the added features of version 3 as well.
I am using version 3.01, and for the first time ever my database has somehow become corrupted (I can't open the database). I don't exactly how it happened. I believe the database might have been locked, and I exited the program from the system tray. I don't know for sure if I had made changes to the database before exiting. I don't have "save database immediately after modifications" checked.
Has anyone else had this sort of problem with version 3.01?
Fortunately, I do have a backup so nothing was really lost.
I think I've fixed this - please see https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1504107&group_id=41019&atid=429579 for a pre-release fix and workaround.
Rony - During testing should we have the Maintain Last Access Times option turned ON? I ask only, because you mentioned having it turned OFF as a work around without the fix.
Any other notes to us who may test the pre-3.02 fix?
Good point - sorry I wasn't clear enough:
According to my analysis, the bug occurs when the database is exited from a locked state after an access time has been updated.
Therefore, a workaround in the 3.01 version would be to disable access time tracking, as I've described in the bug report.
3.02-pre is supposed to prevent corruption both with and without access time tracking.
Version pre-3.02 didn't fix this...at least not while using MS Windows 2000 Pro version 5.0.2195 SP4 and having . I am experiencing this issue when the pwsafe enters the locked state and I try to restore it using my password. It has been pretty consistant today.
The error message continues to be the same: Incorrect passkey, not a Passwordsafe database, or a corrupt database. [backup database has same name as original, ending with '~'].
Keep in mind that I am not exiting the appication while it is in a "locked" state, but trying to restore it to an "opened/active" state.
Neither the posted pre-3.2 workaround nor the manual workaround is doing the trick for me - same problem as Nethertime, apparently.
None of the four files (the original and backup db, along with my own nightly scripted backup original and its backup) are working.
Yeah..I found there is a problem. If you "Lock Password database after x minutes idle", click on the icon to bring it up, it asks you for the password. If you click on "exit" (if I recall correctly), it will wipe out your current version of the data file.
I simply restored the backup version and disabled the automatic lock.
I can also confirm the behaviour of the database being reported as corrupted, though I not clear of the circumstances why.
There have been numerous heart stopping moments with v3.01. Such behaviour never manifested with v2.x releases.
Needless to say I am doing regular manual backups.
This kind of problem is top-priority for me. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it on my machine based on the descriptions on this thread.
The best way to help me fix this is by creating a toy database with the specific options you're using, and submitting it along with a step-by-step description of how to recreate the problem in a bug report.
I have experienced corrupt databases as well. Most of the time the database has became corrupt and its size has been reduced from say 66KB to 1KB, however, a copy of the database at 66KB with the symbol "~" exists and all I need to do is open it with pwsafe.exe.
It seems that pwsafe.exe 3.01, upon lock and/or exit, doesn't clean itself up very well.
I have learned to frequently backup the database.
I have been on vacation, so I have not had time to try and recreate the problem. Sorry Rony. I will though.
My corrupted database also shrank like Nethertime's from 77KB to 1KB.
Thanks all especially to all the developers working to improve and troubleshoot PWS.
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.