Menu

Is this Password Safe, safe to use?

ThaCrip
2020-07-08
2020-07-09
  • ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2020-07-08

If a person is using Manjaro Linux, is the following safe to use?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/passwordsafe

because from what I can tell, it's not from official sources.

• Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2020-07-08

Well, it appears to be based on the sources I generated and signed, and the maintainer seems to have been around for a while, so it looks like they know what they're doing.

Other than that, I can't vouch for that package. If you don't trust the distro's main repository, then you're better off building from sources by yourself.

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2020-07-09

Yeah, I was playing with it a bit in virtual machine and seems to use your gpg verification (like "C887 6BE6 9A8E C641 4C8C 8729 B131 423D 7F2F 1BB9") to verify when installing, so that helps it a bit. but I get what your saying in that it appears legit now, but since that person is not tied to the official Password Safe project, theres no guarantee that person would not do something shady down the road etc even though chances are it will be okay, but you just can't be too sure since instead of coming direct from official source to the user (like through this site we are on now), it's going through someone else first before it gets to the end user.

but I was just playing around with alternative Linux OS's in case future Linux Mint versions act up on my computer ill have backup options.

but I was also playing with Linux Mint LMDE 4 (which is Debian 10 based) on a virtual machine and your Password Safe file for Debian 10 works fine (i.e. passwordsafe-debian10-1.11-amd64.deb ) on it which is official Password Safe stuff. so I might use the Mint LMDE edition as a backup to the mainline Mint if future mainline Mint versions ever act up.

thanks for your time.

Last edit: ThaCrip 2021-05-08