win 8.1 process

Anonymous
2014-03-06
2014-03-07
  • Anonymous - 2014-03-06

Loaded latest version on new PC with Win8.1 and when I run Password Safe it works fine. But when I Quit the program it leaves a background process running. The every time I run it I get another separate background process. After 2 times it will only open in read only mode. I have to use the task manager each time to stop the background process. Any solution for this?

• Dave Griffin

Dave Griffin - 2014-03-06

Sounds like it's minimising, rather than exiting, from your systray (erm, in the desktop under win8? Or task manager?) try bringing that process back to the foreground.

• Anonymous - 2014-03-07

I have been closing by clicking the X in the upper right corner. I have to use the task manager to end the task. How do you bring the process to the foreground?

• Dave Griffin

Dave Griffin - 2014-03-07

In task manager you can "SWITCH TO" an application, that should bring it back up.
    On win7/xp passwordsafe is accessable from the system tray, cant remember how you get to that on win8 though.

• DrK

DrK - 2014-03-07

If Manage->Options; System tab; first CheckBox ("Put icon in System Tray") is checked, then clicking on the 'X' in the upper right corner does NOT close PasswordSafe but instead minimizes it to the System Tray. This is as recommended by Microsoft.

In this case, use the menu item File->Exit or keystrokes Ctrl+Q or Alt+F4.

If this CheckBox is not set, then clicking on the 'X' in the upper right corner WILL close PasswordSafe.

If PasswordSafe has been minimized to the System Tray, you can right click on its icon and, if no dialog was open when minimized, select Exit from this menu to close PasswordSafe. If a dialog was open when PasswordSafe was minimized, you first have to select Restore from this menu, decide what you want to do with the open dialog and then Exit PaswordSafe as above. This is to ensure PAsswordSafe does not lose any changes you intended to make via this dialog.

I have no idea if this has changed from Windows 7 to 8 (System Tray existence etc.) as I do not use Windows 8.

• Anonymous - 2014-03-07

You are way ahead of me. I know very little of the internal workings. I do not see the password safe icon in the system tray when I click on the X. how do I get to "Manage->Options; System tab;"? again all this in win8.

• DrK

DrK - 2014-03-07

Duh - Windows 8 does run standard Desktop applications.

Once PasswordSafe is open - it will have a Menu bar (File, Edit, View, Manage, Help). Click on Manage, click on the sub-menu item Options and then select the System tab! Viola!

It is no different to running a standard application on Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7.

As to where the Microsoft put the System Tray in Windows 8 - ask the perpetrators of this ruined user interface i.e. Microsoft or, if you want a quicker response, Google it.

Last edit: DrK 2014-03-07

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks