Menu

Single Instance Password Safe

2020-05-05
2020-05-20
  • Thomas Arter

Thomas Arter - 2020-05-05

I am running the latest Passwordsafe under a current version of Windows 10. I use single instance mode. I am finding that if I don't close the application when done and it closes itself, I get a Passwordsafe instance under background processes, either green or red, I haven't been able to see a pattern. When this happens I can not start Password safe from any of my icons, shortcuts or even directly with the executable. My work around has been to keep Task Manager open and kill the process. I have had problems with this computer and had to have it cleaned and reloaded, so maybe there is still some obscure issue. Any ideas?

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2020-05-06

If I am understanding that correctly it appears you are overlooking that the program itself automatically locks after I think it's 5 minutes of inactivity and the green icon is when the program is locked on the taskbar and red means it's still open to where you can access it. when it's green just left click the icon in the taskbar (or the like) and it will ask you for the master password and it should re-open and you can resume use like usual. you should not have to kill the process through task manager like that.

also, when the program itself locks due to inactivity (which I believe is set to 5 minutes by default) if you want to exit the program just right click the icon and exit it that way. then you should be able to restart it like usual if you want. but what I said in the initial paragraph above should sum things up.

Last edit: ThaCrip 2020-05-06
  • Thomas Arter

Thomas Arter - 2020-05-06

Thanks for your response. I just did a test, I started Passwordsafe and then left it open and came back about 10 minutes later. The program had closed but shows red in Task Manager. If I right click the Passwordsafe icon on the Task bar I get a list with Passwordsafe, and then the unpin option. If I select Passwordsafe nothing happens. If I right click Passwordsafe I get the option to Run as Administrator and when I select that I get a windows notification giving me the choice to run it, which I do but nothing happens. If I click on Passwordsafe in the Taskbar , nothing happens.

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2020-05-07

You don't want to run the main installer file again as that's what it sounds like your doing since you mentioned the 'run as administrator' thing.

but assuming you started up the program like normal and entered your password like usual and can access the stored passwords, the icon is RED in the taskbar that means the program is still open in a unlocked state. right clicking the icon you should have a option like 'lock safe' and if you click that, the RED icon should now be GREEN, which now the Password Safe program is in a locked state. left clicking on that GREEN icon in the taskbar should bring up a window similar to 'Enter safe combination' which you can enter your password like usual and should have access to the passwords stored in the password manager.

if this is still confusing, take a screenshot and post it here so we can take a look.

because based on what you describe in your initial post it sounds like the Password Safe is simply locking and you just need to unlock it which what I described should do that and if you got it to only run one instance that explains your problem of not being able to do anything else because it's still running.

• Thomas Arter

Thomas Arter - 2020-05-12

I still might not be understanding how the program works, but from my testing, it is not acting like you say it should. I've attached a document showing screen captures as follows: 
      I opened Password Safe and left it open. I find that I usually leave it running as I have a lot of passwords and use at least 3 or 4 of them a day. When I go to use it again I find that it has closed. The first screen capture shows Password Safe running as a background process. If I click on the Password Safe Icon as shown in the 2nd screen capture, nothing happens. If I right click I get the options to select Password Safe or unpin it from the task bar. If I select Password Safe I get the option to Open, which does nothing or Run as Administrator which does nothing. The next to last screen capture is re-verification that Password Safe is still running as a background process. The final screen capture shows my current Password Safe System Options.
      I actually suspect that I have some kind of bug on my computer but have made this contact in the hope you have seen something like this before. Thanks in advance for your help.
      On Thursday, May 7, 2020, 04:46:16 AM PDT, ThaCrip thacrip@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

You don't want to run the main installer file again as that's what it sounds like your doing since you mentioned the 'run as administrator' thing.

but assuming you started up the program like normal and entered your password like usual and can access the stored passwords, the icon is RED in the taskbar that means the program is still open in a unlocked state. right clicking the icon you should have a option like 'lock safe' and if you click that, the RED icon should now be GREEN, which now the Password Safe program is in a locked state. left clicking on that GREEN icon in the taskbar should bring up a window similar to 'Enter safe combination' which you can enter your password like usual and should have access to the passwords stored in the password manager.

if this is still confusing, take a screenshot and post it here so we can take a look.

because based on what you describe in your initial post it sounds like the Password Safe is simply locking and you just need to unlock it which what I described should do that and if you got it to only run one instance that explains your problem of not being able to do anything else because it's still running.

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/passwordsafe/discussion/134800/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Chris

Chris - 2020-05-13

Thanks Thomas.

Apparently the current PWS DEB package doesn't work with Ubuntu 20.04.
        I'm told a new package is being developed so I'll hold out for that.

Regards.

Chris.

Sent from my mobile so please excuse brevity and typos.

On Tue, 12 May 2020, 20:35 Thomas Arter, tarter57@users.sourceforge.net
        wrote:

I still might not be understanding how the program works, but from my
        testing, it is not acting like you say it should. I've attached a document
        showing screen captures as follows:
        I opened Password Safe and left it open. I find that I usually leave it
        running as I have a lot of passwords and use at least 3 or 4 of them a day.
        When I go to use it again I find that it has closed. The first screen
        capture shows Password Safe running as a background process. If I click on
        the Password Safe Icon as shown in the 2nd screen capture, nothing happens.
        If I right click I get the options to select Password Safe or unpin it from
        the task bar. If I select Password Safe I get the option to Open, which
        does nothing or Run as Administrator which does nothing. The next to last
        screen capture is re-verification that Password Safe is still running as a
        background process. The final screen capture shows my current Password Safe
        System Options.
        I actually suspect that I have some kind of bug on my computer but have
        made this contact in the hope you have seen something like this before.
        Thanks in advance for your help.
        On Thursday, May 7, 2020, 04:46:16 AM PDT, ThaCrip
        thacrip@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

You don't want to run the main installer file again as that's what it
        sounds like your doing since you mentioned the 'run as administrator' thing.

but assuming you started up the program like normal and entered your
        password like usual and can access the stored passwords, the icon is RED in
        the taskbar that means the program is still open in a unlocked state. right
        clicking the icon you should have a option like 'lock safe' and if you
        click that, the RED icon should now be GREEN, which now the Password Safe
        program is in a locked state. left clicking on that GREEN icon in the
        taskbar should bring up a window similar to 'Enter safe combination' which
        you can enter your password like usual and should have access to the
        passwords stored in the password manager.

if this is still confusing, take a screenshot and post it here so we can
        take a look.

because based on what you describe in your initial post it sounds like the
        Password Safe is simply locking and you just need to unlock it which what I
        described should do that and if you got it to only run one instance that
        explains your problem of not being able to do anything else because it's
        still running.

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
        https://sourceforge.net/p/passwordsafe/discussion/134800/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
        https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

https://sourceforge.net/p/passwordsafe/discussion/134800/thread/2de47ab692/?limit=25#ba27/0bc9

• Thomas Arter

Thomas Arter - 2020-05-13

So, since I am using Windows 10 did I download the wrong version?
          On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 12:28:48 AM PDT, Chris mitcheca@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Thanks Thomas.

Apparently the current PWS DEB package doesn't work with Ubuntu 20.04.
          I'm told a new package is being developed so I'll hold out for that.

Regards.

Chris.

Sent from my mobile so please excuse brevity and typos.

On Tue, 12 May 2020, 20:35 Thomas Arter, tarter57@users.sourceforge.net
          wrote:

I still might not be understanding how the program works, but from my
          testing, it is not acting like you say it should. I've attached a document
          showing screen captures as follows:
          I opened Password Safe and left it open. I find that I usually leave it
          running as I have a lot of passwords and use at least 3 or 4 of them a day.
          When I go to use it again I find that it has closed. The first screen
          capture shows Password Safe running as a background process. If I click on
          the Password Safe Icon as shown in the 2nd screen capture, nothing happens.
          If I right click I get the options to select Password Safe or unpin it from
          the task bar. If I select Password Safe I get the option to Open, which
          does nothing or Run as Administrator which does nothing. The next to last
          screen capture is re-verification that Password Safe is still running as a
          background process. The final screen capture shows my current Password Safe
          System Options.
          I actually suspect that I have some kind of bug on my computer but have
          made this contact in the hope you have seen something like this before.
          Thanks in advance for your help.
          On Thursday, May 7, 2020, 04:46:16 AM PDT, ThaCrip
          thacrip@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

You don't want to run the main installer file again as that's what it
          sounds like your doing since you mentioned the 'run as administrator' thing.

but assuming you started up the program like normal and entered your
          password like usual and can access the stored passwords, the icon is RED in
          the taskbar that means the program is still open in a unlocked state. right
          clicking the icon you should have a option like 'lock safe' and if you
          click that, the RED icon should now be GREEN, which now the Password Safe
          program is in a locked state. left clicking on that GREEN icon in the
          taskbar should bring up a window similar to 'Enter safe combination' which
          you can enter your password like usual and should have access to the
          passwords stored in the password manager.

if this is still confusing, take a screenshot and post it here so we can
          take a look.

because based on what you describe in your initial post it sounds like the
          Password Safe is simply locking and you just need to unlock it which what I
          described should do that and if you got it to only run one instance that
          explains your problem of not being able to do anything else because it's
          still running.

https://sourceforge.net/p/passwordsafe/discussion/134800/thread/2de47ab692/?limit=25#ba27/0bc9

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/passwordsafe/discussion/134800/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2020-05-15

I spotted your issue. the icon your clicking on is the program icon running in the taskbar which we do not want to do. you need to click on 'tray icon' which should be not much to the left of the time display in the bottom right corner area of your screen. it's possible the icon might be semi-hidden (since if I recall correctly Windows 10 hides some of those icons by default instead of showing them all), but this should give you enough info on where to look. because everything I was saying in my previous posts was referring to the 'tray icon', NOT the icon your clicking on which is just a standard icon of current programs running and what you see is expected given what you did.

so the whole GREEN and RED icon stuff I mentioned in my previous post was referring to the 'tray icon' (which should be to the left of the time display in the bottom right corner area of your screen).

but I guess I should have been a bit clearer in my previous post, but I sort of forgot what they called it until I viewed your uploaded pictures and noticed you got the 'Put icon in System Tray' checked and then I rememebered it's basically the 'tray icon', not the standard taskbar icons of programs running.

p.s. sorry for the late reply as I just kind of assumed you disappeared since you did not respond within a couple of days after my last reply.

@Chris ; thanks for the info on PWSafe in regards to Linux as knowing that I am probably going to hold off on upgrading to Linux Mint v20 until Password Safe makes a released for that. but I am currently using v1.09 on Linux Mint as v1.10 has a sorting bug that needs to be worked out (which I made a post on not all that long ago).

Last edit: ThaCrip 2020-05-15
    • Thomas Arter

Thomas Arter - 2020-05-16

Sorry for not knowing the terminology but now that I understand it works the way I expect it to.
      Thanks!

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 03:51:19 PM PDT, ThaCrip <thacrip@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

I think I pretty much spotted your issue. the icon your clicking on is the program running in the taskbar which we do not want to do. you need to click on tray icon which should be not much to the left of the time display in the bottom right corner area of your screen. it's possible the icon might be semi-hidden, but this should give you enough info on where to look. because everything I was saying was referring to the 'tray icon' NOT the icon your clicking on which is just a standard icon of current programs running.

p.s. sorry for the late reply as I just kind of assumed you disappeared since you did not respond within a couple of days after my last reply.

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2020-05-16

@Thomas Arter

So your saying everything is working well and you no longer have any problems?

• Mick Mickle

Mick Mickle - 2020-05-17

@Thomas Arter, sorry to chime in at this point, but I didn't notice whether you got this command-line guidance yet: if you put a shortcut in the Startup folder of the Windows Start menu for Password Safe using the "s" switch and specifying your data file, Password Safe will automatically start with Windows. Not only that, but it will minimize the icon into the system tray (notification area) just as @ThaCrip advised. (However, the safe data file will still be locked until you click on the icon and enter the password.) I've been using Password Safe on all of my computers this way for many ye
    Check out the command-line section of the Help file: pwsafe -s (data filename)

Last edit: Mick Mickle 2020-05-17
    • Thomas Arter

Thomas Arter - 2020-05-20

Thanks, that is good to know because even if I am good for now, the next PC and install is inevitable.

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, 09:14:13 PM PDT, Mick Mickle <mickmickle@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

@Thomas Arter, sorry to chime in at this point, but I didn't notice whether you got this command-line guidance yet: if you put a shortcut in the Startup folder of the Windows Start menu for Password Safe using the "s" switch and specifying your data file, Password Safe will automatically start with Windows. Not only that, but it will minimize the icon into the system tray (notification area) just as @ThaCrip advised. (However, the safe data file will still be locked until you click on the icon and enter the password.) I've been using Password Safe on all of my computers this way for many years.

Check out the command-line section of the Help file. pwsafe -s <data filename=""></data>

• Mick Mickle

Mick Mickle - 2020-05-17

The example in my post had extraneous characters Should have been "pwsafe -s (data filename)"

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2020-05-17

@Mick Mickle

you said, "However, the safe data file will still be locked until you click on the icon and enter the password."

Yeah, that's part of the standard use stuff you mentioned as once it's locked in the tray (which, if I recall correctly, it does this by default after 5 minutes of inactivity), which is a GREEN icon, one just left clicks it and it will ask for the master password like usual to regain access to the stored passwords in Password Safe's database file.

Last edit: ThaCrip 2020-05-17