With PasswordSafe v3.28 (build 4783) running on Windows XP SP1, PasswordSafe crashes when I try to use a named password policy other than the default policy. Unfortuneately:
- It doesn't happen every time, and I can't reproduce it with any specific sequence (that I have found yet)
- It only happens with my real database - which I'm not prepared to send the crash dump from. It does not happen with a test database that I created to try to reproduce the problem.
The real database has 49 entries and 6 groups (including a couple of nested groups); the test database has 13 items and 3 groups.
The default policy is 32 characters with at least 1 uppercase, 1 lowercase, 1 digit, 1 symbol from the default set. The other policy is 20 characters, 1 upper, 1 lower, 1 digit, 1 symbol from the special set !@$%^&*
The good news is that even with the test database I can see some strange things happening. If I repeatedly generate passwords, either with Ctrl-P or by adding a new entry, swapping between the default and other policy, I'll eventually see (eg in the Ctrl-P dialog) that the generation rules do not match the policy when I switch policies. Sometimes it's a subtle as the Default or Special Set radio button not changing when it should, sometimes the password length is wrong. Once I had very wrong values for all lengths (password and "at least") - in the thousands! These incorrect values don't necessarily mean that it will crash, nor even generate the password from the wrong rules, but it does reproducibly demonstrate that there is some problem in the policy handling.
Log in to post a comment.