Help save net neutrality! Learn more.
Close

n00b - how to use partclone-utils

Help
2011-07-11
2013-02-25
  • Grave Pushe

Grave Pushe - 2011-07-11

hi - I have a partclone img files (they were created using clonezilla) on an external usb drive.
    I want to mount the img using partclone-utils
    I'm using ubuntu 10.4 and installed partclone-utils
    it looks like I have to use the mountimage 
    can someone please give me an example of how to do it?

thanks

• Johan Stuyts

Johan Stuyts - 2011-07-12

I believe you cannot mount a partclone image directly. What I do during the creation of the image is directly "unimage" it to a file again (I pipe the ouput of a image creating partclone to a restoring partclone). I use sparse files, so the resulting file is not much bigger than the partclone image. You can mount the resulting file using the normal tools because all information is where the filesystem drivers expect it to be.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2011-07-24

From my experience, you can mount a partclone image with partclone-utils, e.g.
    1. uncompress the image aa.img.gz if it's compressed:
        gzip -dc aa.img.gz > aa.img
    2. sudo modprobe nbd
        sudo imagemount -d /dev/nbd0 -f aa.img
    3. mount it:
        sudo mount /dev/nbd0 /mnt

Steven.

• Johan Stuyts

Johan Stuyts - 2011-07-24

That looks interesting. It won't save any space because I use sparse files, but should save about 50% of the CPU cycles during the back-up because I won't have to do a restore. I will look into it, thanks.

By the way, the project can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/p/partclone-utils/

• Johan Stuyts

Johan Stuyts - 2011-07-26

It works, but I need to specify the filesystem type on the imagemount command line:
    imagemount -d /dev/nbd0 -f sdb1.img -t ntfs

•  starks325

starks325 - 2011-07-27

Partclone-utils looks very interesting. Is there any plans of including partclone-utils into Partclone.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2011-07-27

Thanks for asking.
    We will include partclone-utils in Clonezilla live in the next release.
    As for including partclone-utils into Partclone, yes, we planned to do that. However, due to some codes are different, we will do this after partclone version >= 0.3, i.e. when new format is implemented.

Steven.

•  starks325

starks325 - 2011-07-27

Thanks Steve, keep up the good work.