Menu

par2 with big files?

Algirdas
2004-02-12
2013-05-23
  • Algirdas

Algirdas - 2004-02-12

I'm trying to par2 a directory with 5 files, totalling around 3gb of data.. it's using round 280mb of memory, and even though i have 3.0ghz P4, it's slooooooooooooow! I even set block size to 130k! Anything that can be done about it? =/

• Peter C

Peter C - 2004-02-12

130k is quite a small block size to use with such a large amount of data.

Which program are you using BTW?

If you are using QuickPar, then with a 3.0ghz P4 you are presumably getting processing speeds of at least 300MB/s.

Are you creating the PAR2 files for backup purposes, or will you be posting the files on UseNet? If you are posting them on UseNet, then you should be using a much bigger block size.

If you are going to post the files on UseNet, then you should set both QuickPar and your posting program to use 7500 lines with yEnc. This will give a block size of 960,000 bytes.

• Algirdas

Algirdas - 2004-02-15

no, im using par0.3command-line..

and i'm using them for dvd safety..

• Peter C

Peter C - 2004-02-15

The code in par2cmdline is not as efficient as that in QuickPar, so you will get slower processing speeds.

The recommendation about block size remains the same of course.

• Algirdas

Algirdas - 2004-02-16

well, problem is, the dvd is also full of small files, so having 500kb blocks is kinda not so good..

and QuickPar doesnt support subdirs.. i can use sweep or smth to run par0.3commandline in each dir, but that's not possible with QuickPar :(

• Algirdas

Algirdas - 2004-05-02

so are there any chances for improving performance with big files, or QuickPar supporting subdirs?

• Peter C

Peter C - 2004-05-02

QuickPar will support subdirectories, I just cannot say when I will have the code written.

• Nobody/Anonymous

any progress on that..

• Nobody/Anonymous

I found that par2on linux fails to process files that are excessively large. say on a single Dual Layer ISO, it won't be able to create any parfiles.

I'll recompile and take notice if this is a compile time option .... if not, will this be fixed in the near future ?

• Nobody/Anonymous

appearently there is no hope for that..