I used PAR1 and PAR2 files a lot when I was downloading bin files from news servers and I must tell that PAR2 is absolutely amazing! It is just the best software redundancy system that I know off! It truly works great and even handles well with bad hardware (I recall one time I had to "relax" the PC's RAM timings in order to accomplish a correct PAR2 generation). Would be someone out there willing to continue this beautiful technology in order to create a PAR2 client more focused in generating Backup files? Something like a Quickpar with subfolders support and multithread would be great. And I am not talking about a batch file running the cmdline version I am talking of a true windows GUI with built-in PAR2 code (or dll file). To me it seems a shame to let this beautiful software code go to waste… it reminds me of the Concorde Jet Plane. It will be a bedtime story to tell to my grandchildren “Once upon a time there was this software…”
I am not a very good programmer; only know a bit of Turbo Pascal, Fortran90, C++, Visual Basic (6, 2005) but I bet there are plenty of people out there capable of embracing such project.