Menu

Useful for CD reliability/life enhancement?

2006-07-22
2013-05-23
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Is there any point in using par for insurance for CDs for data and system backups? Involves a wild variety of file sizes and directory structures. Would it be as easy as just making 3 CD copies for each required, using an expensive brand of course (how else can you tell which really have 'long life')?  When CDs fail, typically, does the whole become inaccessible, or is it file-by-file?

Ol' Bab

• TH

TH - 2006-08-20

The outer parts usually become unreadable first. I always put PAR2 files on discs, and I try to put the empty PAR2 file first on the disc, and the one with repair blocks on the end of the disc.

• Nobody/Anonymous

stupid.. you dont put the backup information on the same disc that you're trying to protect.. when burning 2 discs, place the recovery information of one onto the other..

• Nobody/Anonymous

I write two copies of the file _AND_ a par file.
      Have never lost a backup yet. Just what I do...

Dave M

• Nobody/Anonymous

hello

ok, but what do you do when you have 300 directories with your photo ?
      how do you store par2 files on a different (another) disc (CD or DVD)?

maybe we should create the same structure of directories on the second disc ?
      and then we have very long play with copying par2 files to proper directories.

i do not more ideas :-(

muciasek (PL)

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well, my `strategy' involves a lot of CPU time, but I'd say it's worth it. I usually burn 3 DVDs (will work for CDs too, of course) "at once" - two dvds with the actual data (.iso files below 4 500 000 000 bytes) and the third one containing a par2 of the two .isos. This way the data is protected against a loss of one entire DVD disc (in bytes, not actual DVD discs - remember - par2 uses blocks, not files!).

Muciasek, I'd suggest you do the same - just create par2 images of .iso files.