Using par2 for multi-CD backups?  Over time I've amassed a pretty large collection of data CDs, and after hearing about how CD lifespan may not be what it was originally cracked up to be, I've started wondering about ways to provide some redundancy without copying each and every CD to a 2nd copy.  The idea could even apply to music CDs I suppose.

Now I suppose it's likely that perhaps only the PAR1 technique would be applicable to this, as since the CDs are *already* written, there isn't going to be any imbedded PAR2 data on the existing disks.  But I thought perhaps runing a bunch of disks through some version of a PAR-like redundancy program and building up N CD's worth of   redundancy that I could then burn to N additional CDs and gain that number of CDs protection against failures.  And then of course this might lead to additional useful utilities like something to validate a set to check to see how many failures may exist, and possibly one that I could use in the future in some way as I accumulate additional CDs worth of data, that might be able to utilize the smarter PAR2 method-- possibly even in some kind of cumulative fashion?

At any rate, was wondering if anyone has given this kind of thing any mind.  Food for thought.

--

Sync