Menu

PAR2 source file size

2003-10-09
2003-10-17
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I'm trying to create par2 files for a single very large file (almost 4 gigabytes of encrypted data) but par2cmdline says it cannot find the source file. Even if par2 doesn't support very large files (which might be inconvenient since distributing entire DVD's over the internet is becoming more and more common), simply saying the file doesn't exist can be confusing.

My system: Linux 2.4.20 w. large file support; Debian Sid; par2cmdline 0.3 built from source (also tried 0.2 debian binary package); filesystem = ext3. Hardware: Athlon 600, Asus K7V, 1 GB memory, 2x60 Gb HD in RAID 0 config.

And yes, I know it would take centuries if it worked.

• Marco van Loon

Marco van Loon - 2003-10-14

Personal opinion: distributing DVDs over usenet is gross
      usenet abuse and all newsservers should set a 100Mbyte/day
      upload cap for each of their users...

On to the > 2GByte problem: I just tried it over here and files
      >2GByte indeed don't seem to be supported.
      I then started messing around a bit with my very limted
      C/C++ knowledge and came up with the following
      "it seems to work for me" (TM) patch to hack in LFS support
      by replacing all file accesses by their 64-bit counterparts:
      http://anime-nl.net/files/par2cmdline-lfs.patch
      If it allows you to par2 your DVD: how nice.
      If it launches your PC into low earth orbit: sorry, not my fault;
      I warned you my C/C++ is very rusty... ;)

I'll be contacting Peter to try and find a more elegant solution.

Marco van Loon (TODO: upgrade my software: only my
      'fileutils' is LFS compatible yet... :( )

• Nobody/Anonymous

As to the distribution of DVD's over usenet: I agree with you completely. Which is why I don't intend to do it. But par files are useful for other things as well, such as compensating for the fact that recordable CD's and DVD's seem to degrade pretty quickly. I intend to burn my important DVD's with 4 Gb of data and 0.4 Gb of PAR2 files, check the readability every once in a while, and repair & re-record when required.

About your patch: Thank you, I'll try it this weekend and let you know the result. Should my PC reach orbit, I hope my WLan reaches far enough so I can get some interesting pictures from my webcam...