Script to automate repair and extraction

Joost Kuin
2004-07-12
2013-05-23
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Joost Kuin

Joost Kuin - 2004-07-12

Example situation:
    You have a news client configured to download all binaries from a certain newsgroup into a folder called 'incoming'.
    You could check / repair / extract all archives manually, but that takes forever and more importantly, it's no fun! Wouldnt it be nice, to have process handled automatically? At the end of the day, you want to harvest the complete extracted archives, right?

I have developed a VBS script (called Relextractor)that does the following to files in the incoming folder:
    Move all files (rar/par/par2) from belonging to a single archive into a separate folder in the archives folder
    Test archive with par2 and rar
    Repair (if possible) damaged archives
    Extract complete archives to a configurable folder
    Remove archive (rar/par/par2) files after extraction
    Log successful extraction to History.csv
    Remove files from the incoming folder with the same name as a successfully extracted archives
    Remove incomplete archives after x days

I am looking for people who want to test and/or improve Relextractor.

Post a reply if you are interested.
    Greetz, SaBo-FX!

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'd like to test this Relextractor :)

I have tried to do this with DOS onboard stuff,
      but it is very s....ty ...

Just drop a mail to berry2-removeme-@gmx.net

• Joost Kuin

Joost Kuin - 2004-09-06

Thanx 4 showing interest
        I send you a copy of the script.

• Joost Kuin

Joost Kuin - 2004-09-06

Hi Berry,
        I send you an email, but it returened undeliverable.

Please send an email and I'll reply to it:
        the.master@sabo-fx.net

• Joost Kuin

Joost Kuin - 2004-09-07

You wrote:
        "I have tried to do this with DOS onboard stuff, but it is very s....ty ."

I developed Relextractor for DOS (batch file) too. But I ran into problems when a downloaded file contained certain characters in the filename that are used for batch operators. Like for example brackets. These characters were interpreted as part of the code, and things went wrong. When downloaded files had correct filenames, it worked fine with similar features as the VBS version. I can send you a copy of the batch file if you are interested.

• spacom

spacom - 2004-11-02

I wouldn't mind testing out your Relextractor script, as well, and providing feedback. I have been trying to duplicate what you're working on using perl with so-so success. It appears that certain characters in the filenames do definitely throw a wrench in the works.

If you could, please send me a copy of the script to this address:
      hathaway@cohpa.ucf.edu

Thanks,
      Matthew

• Joost Kuin

Joost Kuin - 2004-11-03

Hi guys,

Thanx for all the feedback I got up untill now. Esspecialy from the people who have helped improving the script.

Anyone else?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanx for all the responds I got up untill now. Esspecialy from the people who have helped improving the script.

Anyone else?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I wouldn't mind testing out your Relextractor script, as well.  I am new user to pararchive, I haven't quite figured this program out yet.  But maybe with the help of your script, I might be better able to use pararchive.

viperonex11@stx.rr.com

• Nobody/Anonymous

I wouldn't mind testing out your Relextractor script.  I am new to using pararchive, and I still haven't quite figured it out yet.  But maybe with the help of your script, It may help me figure this program out. 

viperonex11@stx.rr.com

Thanks Again

Viperone

• Nobody/Anonymous

I would like to try your script
      my e-mail address is wgtapsc@swbell.net
      thanks

• Joost Kuin

Joost Kuin - 2005-01-03

Thanx 4 your post

Will send you the current version.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Wow someone beat me to the punch. I was just about to try to write a script that did all the things your script already does. If you wouldn't mind I to would like to test your script out. If you could please send it to intelix@gmail.com

Thanks in advance
      -Intelix

• Nobody/Anonymous

May i join the club ...

my email is retroarcade@gmail.com and i like to help testing.

Thanks

• Nobody/Anonymous

can i join?

retroarcade@gmail.com

and like to help

thanks

• Nobody/Anonymous

would like to join too and test it out

psykoman2k2@hotmail.com

thnx!

• Nobody/Anonymous

would like to test too

psykoman2k2@hotmail.com

thnx.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I would also like to test it out. Thanks!

e-mail is raptorsoft2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com

Thanks Again!

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'd like to test this out too. It sounds like it's exactly what I've been looking for.
      krikkit@mail.com

• Nobody/Anonymous

This indeed sounds like what i've been looking for. If your still developing the programs i'd like to join.

raymongo@share4life.biz

• Nobody/Anonymous

get you send me the script to kalif@raketnet.nl

• Marc Simcox

Marc Simcox - 2005-06-30

I kinda feel like im back on AOL in the old days with this one

ME TOO!!!!!

saucybritches@gmail.com

this sounds like exactly what i have been looking for.

• Joost Kuin

Joost Kuin - 2005-06-30

Hi Marc,

First of all I would like to thank everybody who has shown interest in the script!

I have descided to post the script on this URL:
        http://www.euronet.nl/users/joostk/relextractor/relextractor_v0.9.1.rar

But, I would like to keep track of its popularity and usage. I would realy appreciate it if you share your experience / issues on Relextractor in this forum.

Alternatively you can also send me a personal email. The address is mentioned in the documentation that is included in the download.

Greetz,
        SaBo-FX!

• Gil Milow

Gil Milow - 2005-11-08

I didn't realize that this thread existed until today.

I have created a utility that will do pretty much what this script does. It's only a 1.0 version, but it works pretty well. It's called Par-N-Rar. You can find it here: http://milow.net/site/projects/parnrar.html

I'm hoping to get a GUI version (this one is command line). Hopefully someone will find it useful!

• Nobody/Anonymous

So far  I have used Relextractor once and as far as I can tell it workes wonders. Saves a lot of time sitting and waiting for QuickPar then Unrar to do their stuff. It processed 13 video files of large and varying lengths. There was one archive that was incomplete and didn't have any pars to use to recover it so it put it into the "holding area but then I didn't see a way to automate the retry so I did it manually.

Anyway, I would love a graphical UI as I am not strong on command line stuff but I am very grateful for this script and will be using it a lot.

Thanks.

rsmith658@comcast.net

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)