Menu

new version of par2cmdline-0.4-tbb available

2007-10-23
2013-05-23
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I've uploaded a new version of par2cmdline-0.4-tbb, which is a version of par2cmdline-0.4 modified to use the Intel Thread Building Blocks 2.0 library. If your computer has a Core Duo (or Quad) or Athlon X2 or other multi-CPU or multi-core processors, then using this version will allow you to create and repair data files faster.

For details and downloads, see:

<http://chuchusoft.com/par2_tbb/index.html>

On another note, I would like opinions as to whether I should start a project on sourceforge for this version. I have tried to contact the managers of the parchive project on sourceforge but I have had no response. Your thoughts on this?

Vincent.

• SuperMichael

SuperMichael - 2007-11-10

Excellent work.

There's one strange thing though.
      When repairing a set and par2cmdline-0.4-tbb scans the files the filenames the filenames seem to alternate between two files and scanning speeds aren't as fast as they ought to be compared to the unmodified version which is quite a lot faster.

Could it be that par2cmdline is accessing two files at the same time (two files = two threads) because of the multi-threading and causing a slowdown (HD thrashing) in reading because of that?

All of this was done on a pc with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ running at the default 2Ghz.