Menu

Recovery to an alternate location

2003-06-07
2013-05-23
  • Nobody/Anonymous

In an actual recovery situation it would be useful if a target location could be specified for the recovered files since a maxed out DVD or CDR is already full.

I mentioned this at the bottom of the topic about overall data size but feel it's a separate issue not just about quickpar and is important enough to be listed for considerstion separately.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well, IMHO recovering to a different location
      would also include copying all the correct files
      to that different location, so why not copy all
      correct files there yourself and then starting
      the recovery from there...

Marco van Loon

• Nobody/Anonymous

If you have 25 .AVI files on the DVD of varying sizes and 2 are damaged why should you need to copy all of them to another location just to recover those 2?  The DVD can continue storing the other 23 so it's not like you're going to put them somewhere else anyways.   

• Nobody/Anonymous

Because that DVD is 2 files closer to being not recoverable and progressive destruction seems to be the order of the day for DVD-R discs.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi all, i must admit, being able to choose an alternative location for the recovered file(s) would be a useful addition to this great program.

Many times i have experienced low free space on 1 partition, but enough free space on another partition to hold a couple of newly generated/repaired large files.

Even if the implementation of this feature is only as much as to make the new file at the chosen location (though not as default) that would be great, because the user could simply then refresh the par2 scanner, and click add files and choose the files from the other location.

(btw, i havent actualy tried it, but does drag and drop work when adding files? :o)

im too tired & lazy to try it out LOL. - might do tomorrow :o) if not, it would be a cool feature because we could drag the files from where they are, without having to find the paths again from browsing etc.

• Nobody/Anonymous

COPY command will not retrieve good portions of large damamged files that may be missing only A BYTE  but will SKIP that file entirely.

its quite WASTEFUL to not utilize good pars of a damaged file and could mean the difference in recovery or loss of the entire archive.

CD and DVD media is not truly PERMENANT.
      PAR CAN BE  the solution  things like loss of bytes from AGE or small scratches
      on these optical media and/or perhaps even a solution to cheepo brand media
      also. no need to throw out entire discs due to loss
      of a few bytes during burn.

its silly not to add the easily remedied feature
      to PAR or quickpar or whatever implementation,
      a line or 2 of code would greatly widen the programs usefulness.

• Nobody/Anonymous

(edit)
      err... thats good "portions" of  a damaged file.

• darklegion

darklegion - 2005-06-02

I'd also like to see this feature in a future release,along with the ability to verify/repair selectively.Its annoying problems like this that ruin the experience for me and are making me think twice about using par at all.