PAL with ODE in Linux

Help
Jan Zizka
2010-04-18
2013-01-08
  • Jan Zizka

Jan Zizka - 2010-04-18

Just out of curiosity, is anyone using PAL with ODE under Linux?

If yes how do you compile PAL? Seems that current cmake configs are not setting dSINGLE or dDOUBLE
    and without that  it can't compile.

I have added use of pkg-config to ready the CFLAGS from ode.pc through FindPkgConfig CMake module.

I think PAL would benefit from pkg-config in general. I'll polish my little hack and send patch later on.

Another question is anyone running the tests and benchmark under Linux with ODE? At least it can't run
    with static option. I have just tried to run some of those and most of them don't really work out of the box.
    Also there is faul in palODECapsuleGeometry::ReCalculateOffset, which should do nothing if odeGeom
    in not yet created, now this causes segfault when a capsule is initialized. I'll send patch for this as well.

• David Guthrie

David Guthrie - 2010-04-19

Okay, thank you.  I am running ode on linux with pal, and it's working fine for me.  Not sure what the difference is, but if your patch makes sense, I'll commit it.

The init problem with the geometries is a pretty big issue, and it needs to be refactored. 

I don't run the benchmarks because you have to install IRRLICHT. 

• steffenh

steffenh - 2010-07-20

I am using the newest version of ubuntu, but I am struggling a bit CMake config was fine so far.. But MAKE didn't work as expected:

Linking CXX shared library ../lib/libpal.so
    Built target libpal
    Scanning dependencies of target libtest
    Building CXX object test_lib/CMakeFiles/libtest.dir/test_lib.cpp.o
    In file included from /**/**/pal/test_lib/../example/graphics.h:4,
                     from /**/**/pal/test_lib/test_lib.h:9,
                     from /**/**/pal/test_lib/test_lib.cpp:1:
    /**/**/pal/test_lib/../example/../sdlgl/sdlgl.h:39:32: error: SDL/SDL.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /**/**/pal/test_lib/../example/graphics.h:4,
                     from /**/**/pal/test_lib/test_lib.h:9,
                     from /**/**/pal/test_lib/test_lib.cpp:1:
    /**/**/pal/test_lib/../example/../sdlgl/sdlgl.h:87: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘SDL_Surface’ with no type
    /**/**/pal/test_lib/../example/../sdlgl/sdlgl.h:87: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
    make: ***  Error 1
    make: ***  Error 2
    make: ***  Error 2

Has one of you seen that problem before (and finally found a way to solve it :))?

Steffen

• David Guthrie

David Guthrie - 2010-07-20

It's trying to build the display examples.  They are on by default, but they only work in windows.  I just changed the CMakeLists.txt to make only enable them for windows.

You can disable them by doing

cmake -DPAL_EXAMPLES_DISPLAY=OFF .

• steffenh

steffenh - 2010-07-21

thanks for your quick help! Thats perfect!

Now I got stuck with:
    - Could NOT find IRRLICHT  (missing:  IRRLICHT_LIBRARY IRRLICHT_INCLUDE_DIR)
    *** FindIRRLICHT: final IRRLICHT_LIBRARIES=

In my project I am already using OpenGL, so I don't see the need for having IRRLICHT. How can I set this to be optional? (I guess the demo needs IRRLICHT?)

I want to switch between Bullet, ODE and PhysX for doing some research on these engines. Is it easy to integrate an engine later on or is it recommended to do this right at the beginning, when building PAL for the first time.

Thanks!

• David Guthrie

David Guthrie - 2010-07-21

-DPAL_BUILD_BENCHMARK=OFF

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks