Paddy, the free workflow improvement program for Lightroom. (Paddy is for Windows only, sorry)
YouTube Video Tutorials
Paddy download, including source code
Discussion board for help and bug reporting
Paddy: Key mapping, MIDI, and Scripting for Lightroom
Paddy radically improves the workflow in Adobe Lightroom by allowing you to assign any adjustment setting - including moving the sliders and applying a preset - to essentially any key, external keypads, mouse buttons, a MIDI keyboard and MIDI controllers with physical encoders and faders. This gives you all editing (and some other) tools of Lightroom at the push of a button or move a physical fader. You do not need the mouse any more to get to presets or to adjust the sliders.
Paddy also has a full scripting engine for Lightroom.
Paddy supports several external keyboards natively, including the [XKeys_Professional] 58 key external keyboard which is at least similar (if not the same) as what some commercial solutions use, and the Logitech G13, which is a reasonably prices gaming keypad. Paddy is free (the external keyboard is not, obviously).
Paddy supports the [Behringer_BCF2000] and [Behringer_BCR2000] MIDI controllers natively, with their own GUI and the ability to share your settings with other users. Other MIDI controllers can be used as well, and notes as well as chords on MIDI keyboards can be mapped to Lightrooom functions.
- The free solution: You can use Paddy without any additional hardware - it's a free solution, mapping almost anything in Lightroom to almost any key you desire. Read more under [Using_only_a_standard_keyboard]
For external keyboards, there are several ways you can go
- The $70 solution: 46 external keys (23 in two layers) using the [Genovation683] USB keypad.
- The gamers solution (around $70): using the Logitech G13 keyboard
- The $110 solution: 68 external keys (34 in two layers) using the [Genovation682] USB keypad.
- The $170 solution: Using the [XKeys_Professional] USB keypad. Paddy supports two layouts (starting at V0.9.5): A [Standard_XKeys_Layout] with 2 layers per key, providing 114 external keys (57 in two layers). And the [3_Layers_XKeys_Layout], providing a total of 162 keys.
- Your solution. Paddy supports essentially any external keyboard that can send a keystroke in combination with a modifier (like SHIFT). Ideally, your keyboard does not require a resident program (i.e., it holds it's own programming), and ideally it supports F13-F24, so you don't "double book" keyboard keys. Those who need a driver/external program might or might not work, we do not have enough data points on specific keyboards yet.
For Midi any controller can work, but there are essentially three options
- Paddy supports the [Behringer_BCF2000] and [Behringer_BCR2000] Midi controllers with a graphical GUI. The [Behringer_BCF2000] goes for about $170 new and around $100 used. You can plug the Behringer in, transfer settings to it from Paddy, and it will work. More about this topic in the user guide
- A MIDI keyboard or instrument. Lightroom functions can be mapped to notes and chords.
- Any Midi controller you program. Paddy can react to all 127 ""CC" Midi controllers on 16 channels. All you need to do is program your controller. Find more on how this will work under [Using_any_Midi_controller]
In addition to the external keyboards, you can still map functions to the Function keys, the Numpad keys, and any other keys if you desire, up to 7 levels deep(e.g., CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-Q)
Templates for devices can be found at the [Official_Paddy_Template_site]
- Download the latest Paddy installer
- Start the installer, which will install all relevant files in your Lightroom Plugin Folder
- Start Lightroom
- Follow the instructions in the [Paddy_user_guide] to customize Paddy.
- If you are too lazy to read and more the experimental person, right-click on the tray menu to customize or use the Lightroom menu for the Plugin
- You will need to register Paddy after 50 days by donating through a PayPal account or a credit card via PayPal. Use this link to donate: Donate and register
- The minimum donation is 1 cent (though I would like you to consider something appropriate)
- You will receive two emails, one from paypal and another one with the registration ID
- You can register 2 PCs max per PayPal transaction code
- If you do not have a PayPal or credit card account, or you administer many computers (e.g., in a school or a large business), contact me and I will take care of you so you don't have a big hassle.
You can find more on registration here
The main user guide can be found under [Paddy_user_guide] in the Wiki
The PDF version - typically a few edits behind - can be found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/padd.../98%20Documentation/
We have video tutorials on our YouTube Channel
Go to the [Paddy_Developer_Wiki]
Paddy is a third party product for use with Adobe Lightroom. Adobe, the Adobe logo, Lightroom and Photoshop are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. X-keys is a trade mark of P.I. Engineering, Inc. GENOVATION is a registered trade mark of Genovation Incorporated.
Paddy is licensed under CC BSD
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the programmer nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.