Pablowdraw. The future. Features?

Anonymous
2001-08-15
2013-04-09
  • Anonymous - 2001-08-15

What features should be included in pablowdraw? I personally would like to see emulation modes for all the major DOS ANSI editors. I'd also like to see popups for color changing, character selection, etc. JPEG support may also be good so you can display a VGA you're trying to make a doodle of. :P

• Curtis Wensley

Curtis Wensley - 2001-08-15

well, some ideas that people have told me about is chat window, exhibition mode (allow users to watch but not draw), and full-screen mode so it feels like a 'normal' ansi editor.. 

I was thinking directX could be used for this purpose.. or, make a console version.. but eh.. would have to code everything differently.. i like one set of source for one thing.. (:

Anyway, cool!

• Jason

Jason - 2001-08-19

I agree with bludwulf. A color changing bar and character selection bar would be a great addition. Maybe something like what's in Paint Brush for the color and Character Map for the extra characters. You wouldn't even need the keyboard characters.. just the extended ones. How about customizeable "quick" keys (like F1-F12) for inserting certain characters you use a lot? Also, I'd make keyboard shortcuts for everything (like how you have CTRL+N for a new file.)

How about some more viewer type features? What about drag and drop support? ..and perhaps a "browse" mode open.. like the thumbnail view like in Windows Explorer. Or maybe a playlist/favorites type bar like in winamp or IE.  Combined with a "search for media" like in Windows Media Player (just hit F3 in WMP) would really kick ass.  Either that or some sort of recursive directory search for supported files.  Just some thing you could use to quickly browse through art packs.  How about zip support?

• Nobody/Anonymous

hmmm, i'd like a TheDraw like interface.
      Ascii is the most important in my humble opinion.
      block ascii for me

thanks for doing this, its an ambitious project.

grtz, DUTCHSPiRiT

• Nobody/Anonymous

I would like to know if this project is still in development. I am an ansi artist myself and I like having the ability to teach and learn new techniques with other people, however the interface does lack a few things. One, there needs to be a fullscreen or console mode feature, the Alt-U in most editors (pick up color under cursor) is a must to implement, on the chat screen there should be a user list with who all is on the serveras well as a way to tab back and forth between the editor and chat, block fills are needed (and cursor block selecting as well as the already implemented mouse selection would be nice). Btw, the save as feature writes an ansi of 0 bytes only Save itself works. Other than those few things this is one of the most impressive editors I've seen. And there is a movement to revive ansi art right now, even a lot of telnet bbs's are starting to go up. If you are not still developing pablo, please let me continue work on it my handle is Sinister x and my email is johnny_ernest@hotmail.com or sinistrx@hotmail.com (don't send to sinistrx though that's where I have all my junkmail sent to, and yes I'm the sinister x from acid, cia, fire, etc.). Otherwise let us know me and plenty of other people would be willing to contribute to the effort.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'd like to see an option to use grid while working, it would make the processs mush easier.

• Nobody/Anonymous

i would like to see in one of the following versions an option to choose transparent foreground and background, so this will ease coloring.
      for example, you could color with red foreground and not worry about switching different backgrounds and not worry about ruining existing background colors. fame for foreground, when you just feel like changing the background of some area. hope this explains it.

• Nobody/Anonymous

i would like to see in one of the following versions an option to choose transparent foreground and background, so this will ease coloring.
      for example, you could color with red foreground and not worry about switching different backgrounds and not worry about ruining existing background colors. fame for foreground, when you just feel like changing the background of some area. hope this explains it.
      contact me at: ey51@hirez.org

• Nobody/Anonymous

How hard would it be to support ANSI fonts like TheDraw does?  That would be kinda cool. :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'm using PabloDraw for quite a while now but I'm new to this so I just figured out how oldschool ascii looks with different fonts (topaz and stuff).
      So I'd like a feature to change the font you're working with in PabloDraw if there isn't any trick already (which I doubt tho').
      There are just 3 implemented fonts in PD but I'd LOVE an option in the preferences saying "edit font" or something, to choose a font which is installed on ones system.
      Would be really neat because I personally don't dig the dos drawers that much but without such a feature (which shouldnt too hard to implement I guess), I would consider changing to dos, aciddraw or something.

anyway.. bye
      cubon

• Curtis Wensley

Curtis Wensley - 2004-08-09

Actually, PabloDraw does not use a traditional 'font'.  It uses a RAW copy of the DOS font that is in the bios, and is drawn on your screen pixel by pixel to reproduce the dos font more accurately. 

This means that you cannot (at the momemnt) choose a font from your system, as these are .FON or .TTF fonts, and are not the same thing.

The main reason for this is the higher-ascii characters are different in DOS as they are with windows fonts.  No existing ansi or ascii would look correct without the fonts that it uses currently..

Cheers,
        Curtis aka Eto.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Brilliant tool.
      What I'd like to see is a paint-style interface, since manually moving the caret around and blocking -- although very true to the oldskool ansi/ascii editors -- can get rather bothersome to some of us priviledged enough to have a mouse connected as well. ;)
      And while on the topic of mice, maybe you could also add some more fuctionality to the buttons, such as holding right mouse button down while scrolling could cycle colors, or similar. That would reduce some clicking around.
      This is definitely one of the best tools out there.
      Keep up the great work. :)

-N.

• Nobody/Anonymous

some things i'd like to see in future versions:

*save as: png
      *convert ascii colors from black dos mode to white notepad mode and vice versa (i started this nfo for some dude, and he wanted the whites to be inverted.. i did it manually.. the horror the horror)

• Curtis Wensley

Curtis Wensley - 2005-05-01

So, you wanted to change the actual colour?  Usually you save an ascii without colour, so it apears properly when viewed in notepad.  To do so, save as *.txt or *.asc.

There is a 'notepad mode' available in the options to show how it will look in notepad, which changes all of the gray on black to black on white..

• Nobody/Anonymous

Pablo Draw is brilliant, but I hope in future versions you'll do a russian ASCII-codepage (like in late releases of ACiDDraw), maybe in a special patch 'cause a lot of russian artists use PabloDraw and it's not really convinient to switch from PabloDraw to ACiDDraw to write text in russian...

• Curtis Wensley

Curtis Wensley - 2005-07-29

Sure, this is not a problem.  The hardest part is getting the russian font.  If someone can use like pablodraw-dos or itpdraw to save an XBIN along with it's character set, then I can include it in pablodraw for windows.

Cheers!
        Curtis aka Eto

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks