PHP 7

Help
gerry
2017-10-08
2018-09-07
  • gerry

gerry - 2017-10-08

Hi

Recently I set up an Ubuntu 16.04 instance on Linode. I tried to migrate my p4a application running on Ubuntu 14.04 with PHP 5.5.9 and MySQL 5.5.40.

On the Linode server it is PHP 7.0.22 and MySQL 5.7.19.

Are there any changes that needs to be attended to?

My p4a (3.8.4 ) application results in a blank screen on trying to run it on Linode. There are no entries in error.log.

Or should we stick with PHP 5.5.x and MySQL 5.5.x.

Any help would be much appreciated. p4a is a great app even though there has not been a new release for a long time.

Thanks,

Gerry Lee

• zukunftcom

zukunftcom - 2018-09-06

Hi,

I think it useful to switch to PHP 7. To me the first question is if sourceforge should be the master or https://github.com/fballiano/p4a.

With regards

Timon

• BES

BES - 2018-09-07

I believe the latest is on github, about 4 years ago... changes made by eddie..

A while back I did a quick experimental hack just to see if I could get P4A working on Windows/Apache/Php7, to see how extensive the "damage" was. I did get it up and running. I thinik I had to tweak about a dozen files. If I am recalling correctly, there were issues with function parameters in a bunch of places. The biggest challenge had to do with the singleton class. That's about all I remember.

Would be great to get P4A up and runnung again for real!

• zukunftcom

zukunftcom - 2018-09-07

So I guess it is better if we "move" to github, right?

• BES

BES - 2018-09-07

Yes.

Here is Fabrizio's old post about the move to github.

https://fabrizioballiano.net/2012/08/31/p4as-tools-changes/

• Fabrizio Balliano

I did some work on other branches for the p4a 4.0 release (everything is published on github now, SF is alive just for historical reasons) but I never finished cause:
    - couldn't find a modern set of html/js widgets
    - bootstrap doesn't seem to fix completely in the p4a concept
    thus everything stopped cause I couldn't see any benefit in moving forward to something I didn't like

if you have any suggestion please share it with me :-)
    I think still today P4A it's a one of a kind framework that's really different from any other thing I can find

bye!