Sample Set Links Page

2013-07-18
2014-07-20
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Nick Appleton

Nick Appleton - 2013-07-18

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here. I noticed a week or so ago that the free sample sets page was pointing to daupher.it for my sample sets. I have changed this so that the links point to my webpage (as it is the "home" for the actual sample sets) and have added download links on my webpage which point to the respective daupher.it pages.

As I do not know who owns daupher.it (well, technically I do... a quick whois reports Muzio Massimo Pica Alfieri as the owner whom I do not think I have met), I can't really tell them directly that I've done this.

I would appreciate that links to my sample sets actually point to my website as this is where I will add more material if I ever update them. If you host download links for the sample sets, feel free to let me know and I will link to your websites from mine.

Thanks,

Nick

• Marco Francesco

Marco Francesco - 2013-07-18

Your home page would be: http://www.appletonaudio.com/.
      Correct?

Marco

Last edit: Marco Francesco 2013-07-18
  • Martin Koegler

Martin Koegler - 2013-07-19

The only copies of both HW1 organ were hosted by Graham and daupher.it - therefore the page links both. Graham turned his server off, so only daupher.it was left.

Your homepage didn't contain anything to download the sample set, so from the user perspective your page was useless for GO users.

• What is the license of St. Stephens?
    • I got a report, that a few samples in the package of St. Augustine at daupher.it are corrupted.
    • The HW package of St.Augustine contains "better" samples - the current GO could also use them. Any plans to update the GO versions?

• Nick Appleton

Nick Appleton - 2013-07-19

Your homepage didn't contain anything to download the sample set, so from
    the user perspective your page was useless for GO users.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I disagree that the page is "useless". It contains information about the organ and is the original place where it was all put together. If other people want to host it, that is fine. But I think if someone wants information about the instrument, they should go to my page.

I will probably put both sample sets up on my website as torrents.

What is the license of St. Stephens?

A Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license (defunct). I will add this to the website as it is missing

I got a report, that a few samples in the package of St. Augustine at
    daupher.it are corrupted.

If is true that the samples hosted on dapher.it are broken, I will remove the link from my website. I will check this tomorrow.

The HW package of St.Augustine contains "better" samples - the current GO
    could also use them. Any plans to update the GO versions?

I can work on this. Not at the moment though.

I have also enabled comments on both of the sample set pages on my home page for users to complain if the samples/downloads are broken.

• Martin Koegler

Martin Koegler - 2013-07-20

One question to CC Sampling Plus (or your interpreation):
      The license is quite liberal in regard to using a recoding of the sample set. In contrast to the St. Augustine license, it is quite unspecific in regards to derivded sample sets and redistribution. What is allowed?

Add corrupted download:
      http://sakralorgel.forumprofi.de/virtuelle-pfeifenorgeln-f9/erste-gehversuche-mit-grandorgue-t1079-s10.html#p13046 (sorry, it's in german)

Torrents require additional software - therefore I want to keep http/ftp download links (at least in our wiki).
      If you are concerned about size, why don't you ship a small "GO upgrade" package for the HW files, which add the missing files (eg. ODF).

• Nick Appleton

Nick Appleton - 2013-07-20

The intent of licenses for both the St. Stephen's and St. Augustine's was to essentially permit:
        Profiting from musical recordings of the samples.
        Distributing the samples in other sampled instruments as long as attribution is given to the author and none of the rights/restrictions of the licenses are applied in the derivative instrument.
        * Redistribution of the sample set as long as author attribution is maintained.

The only reason that the St. Augustine's license changed to a more custom license is because Creative Commons stopped maintaining the Sampling Plus license. I was given advice not to use it in future.

• Lars Palo

Lars Palo - 2013-07-21

That's exactly why I use CC BY-SA licence. The CC BY-NC in essence doesn't allow any commercial usage of the licensed material whatsoever. Of course any other license could be used too depending on what the creator intends with it...

• Martin Koegler

Martin Koegler - 2013-08-09

I have read the CC Sampling Plus license over and over - it is worse than your self written license:
    The licenses only allows derived work, if it substantial different. This means, that if I eg. can't adapt the ODF to the new GO style.
    Point 3. requires that I either use a "insubstantial portion" or creating something different. Both would not be the case. Redistributions rights for modified would also be missing.

Could you therefore consider a different license for St. Stephens (or at least dual-licensing it).

• casacota

casacota - 2014-07-10

Hello,

I'm starting to publish some instruments I made, if you wish to add to the Sample Set link page:

http://samplesets.esmuc.info

Thanks for your great work!

Pere

• Marco Francesco

Marco Francesco - 2014-07-10

Hi Pere,

Can you upload to google drive or some other place? It's a nightmare
      trying to download from dropbox. Very slow and I've had to try over and
      over and over and over again. Now it stopped and failed yet again this
      time at 610MB! I just cannot get a complete download. I stopped using
      dropbox a long time ago!!!

Regards
      Mark

On 10/07/2014 13:58, casacota wrote:

Hello,

I'm starting to publish some instruments I made, if you wish to add to
      the Sample Set link page:

http://samplesets.esmuc.info

Thanks for your great work!

Pere

Sample Set Links Page
      https://sourceforge.net/p/ourorgan/discussion/962124/thread/01461b4e/?limit=25#1b92

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/ourorgan/discussion/962124/
      https://sourceforge.net/p/ourorgan/discussion/962124

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
      http://www.avast.com

• casacota

casacota - 2014-07-17

Two new samplesets added to the list:

Enjoy!

• Mark Bugeja

Mark Bugeja - 2014-07-17

Thank you for 2 more instruments. They both look interesting but I am particularly pleased to see a claviorganum.

I am rather perplexed to note that the original claviorganum consists of 2 manuals whilst the virtual one has only one! Is there a reason for this?

Regards
        Mark

• casacota

casacota - 2014-07-17

Yes, there is. The instrument appears to have 2 manuals, but only one can be played at a time. If the spinet is pulled off, you can play only that one, the second manual is hidden and coupled to the organ. If not, only the organ manual is accessible. For this reason the virtual instrument shows only one manual.

That is, if you place the spinet over the organ manual, you play both. If you push the spinet in the instrument, you see the keys but there is no place for the hands. Impossible to play one hand on the spinet and the other on the organ, so two manuals are possible but no realistic.

On the other side it could be easly done on the ODF...

• casacota

casacota - 2014-07-17

• Mark Bugeja

Mark Bugeja - 2014-07-17

Hehehe! That was quick. It is good to have the original as well as an extended form like Panos and I are doing with Maltese pipe organs. But I note that the lower keyboard does not function! I think one keyboard should be assigned to play the spinet and another to play the organ each independently with the first stop being a coupler like in an organ. You will need to modify the odf a bit, I think.

Moltes gràcies!
              Mark

• casacota

casacota - 2014-07-17

Uh? I did exactly what you also suggest already and it works well for me. The lower keyboard is Spinet, always on, and the coupler is to play the upper keyboard with the organ stops.

Maybe you have to change the midi channels? Anyone can try that please? Since it works on my system I cannot reproduce the issue. Also on MyOrgan it sounds correct.

• Mark Bugeja

Mark Bugeja - 2014-07-17

Ok.... I was trying it out using the virtual keyboard in a rather noisy environment so I did not hear the spinet sounds which are faint. Apologies.

Nevertheless, a lot of error messages appear on loading meaning that the odf needs to be cleaned up a bit.

• Martin Koegler

Martin Koegler - 2014-07-17

To correctly implement a short octave in GO, use DisplayKey999 and MIDIKey999. The missing notes can either be generated by borrowing adjacent samples and retune them via ODF or set the pipe to DUMMY.

http://www.familjenpalo.se/sites/default/files/sampleset/others/Kdousov.organ.7z

"Ignore pitch info" is only a workaround - the sampleset should specify pitch of the samples and the harmonic number. The simplest way for specifiying the pitch is processing the WAVs with a pitch detection tool (like Lars LoopAuditioner or the HW stop processing tool). If you don't want to touch the samples, you can provide it via Pipe999MIDIKeyNumber and Pipe999PitchCorrection.

That way, one version with mean-tone samples can be played in different temperaments in GO (even with/without short octave).

As your samplesets are no derived, we can't fixe the bugs.

• casacota

casacota - 2014-07-17

Well, I'm here somewhat tied as in order to obtain permissions to make the recordings I had to accept the no-derivative-license and also the approach to make the sample sets usable in as many as possible different programs, including HW (wich I personally don't use).

I'll try to make a better ODF specific for G.O. My idea was to make an universal one but there are too many possibilities lost this way. Thanks for the information!

• casacota

casacota - 2014-07-20

In order to make possible adapting ODFs I have added a separate agreeement to the CC by-nc-nd license, since CC allows CC+ licenses:

http://www.casacota.cat/perl?num=1404990514/0#1

So please feel free to make your own ODFs!

• Martin Koegler

Martin Koegler - 2014-07-10

Feel free to do it yourself - it is an open wiki.

The license statement on your page is a little bit confusing: It talks about the CC BY-NC-ND as well as the CC Sampling Plus license.

• casacota

casacota - 2014-07-10

Oops. License corrected, thanks!

Link added also.

• Mark Bugeja

Mark Bugeja - 2014-07-10

Hi Pere,

Can you upload to google drive or some other place? It's a nightmare trying to download from dropbox. Very slow and I've had to try over and over and over and over again. Now it stopped and failed yet again this time at 610MB! I just cannot get a complete download. I stopped using dropbox a long time ago!!!

Regards
    Mark

• Mark Bugeja

Mark Bugeja - 2014-07-10

BitTorrent Sych seems to be working fine but there's no indication how much of the file has downloaded and how much remains! :-(

In fact there is.... I correct myself. The "status" shows how much of the file remains but if there are 4 sources of download, this info shows for each which is rather confusing and illogical!

Finally download completed!!! Hooray!

Last edit: Mark Bugeja 2014-07-10
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks