Menu

1.1.6/1.2.0 Installer dies on DB create step

Help
2007-10-31
2013-04-25
  • David Black

David Black - 2007-10-31

Hi, I am evaluating 1.2.0 beta (latest) and also tried 1.1.6.

This is on a Mandriva 2007.1 server platform, with php 5.2.1 and mysql 5.0.37.
    All the prerequisites appear to be satisfied and the machine is working fine for other apps.

My problem is when the installer gets to the database create step, it stops there with a blank screen.  Enabling php display_errors shows nothing, and nothing's in the httpd error log.

The two types of DBs available are MySQL and SQLite.  I tried having a DB already created in mysql and also without, and in the latter case the user able to create new DBs.  When I try sqlite it appears to create a subdirectory 'db' under the install directory and set perms 700 but nothing's in it.

Looking at the 3.php template code for that page I see nothing obvious wrong but it seems like some DB types may not be fully supported.  Am I just trying to use one (mysql) that doesn't yet work with Ortro?

Dave

• David Black

David Black - 2007-10-31

A little more info.  In the 3.php installer page, when it calls this function - looks like a PEAR MDB2 library, it never returns:

$result = $schema->updateDatabase($fileschema, false, $variables);

Still looking at this, any help appreciated.

• David Black

David Black - 2007-10-31

The php-pear-MDB2 packages for Mandriva (at least) are a dependency for Ortro.

I didn't see any mention of them in documentation or during the pre-install check.
      Got 'em all installed and the database step went fine.

• David Black

David Black - 2007-11-01

I'm hoping someone soon reads this and responds, if for no other reason than to let me know it's being read.

After going through setup, I tried to log in and get another blank screen when clicking 'login' (after entering username admin, password admin).  Again, no errors, nothing to indicate what happened.

Further, the Pear problems mentioned above appear to have to do with my already having php-pear packages installed on the machine at all.  I was able to remove *all* php-pear Mandriva packages and have the install succeed.

Back to the login problem - looking at the configure.php file written as a result, the database fields were not all correctly filled in.  In particular having to do with the database.  Happens both with 1.1.6 and 1.2.0-beta.

I can only think there's something quite different about the developers' systems where it works fine for them but seems to be giving me no end of problems - at least on Mandriva 2007.1.

• Luca Corbo

Luca Corbo - 2007-11-01

Hi Dave,
        thanks to report it, we have noticed the same issues on a Fedora distribution.
        Ortro comes with MDB2 Pear packages in bundle and to avoid to use system Pear librares, in the svn code we have modified the set_include_path directive in the init.php file as reported below:
        set_include_path(".:".ORTRO_LIB.":".ORTRO_LIB_PEAR.":".ORTRO_PLUGINS);

Regarding the login problem we have noticed the same behavior, an incorrect values in config.php file due to problem with database installation step.
        We are investigating about them and we hope to fix them as soon as possible.

If you experience any problem, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Ciao,
        Luca

• David Black

David Black - 2007-11-01

Thanks! 

I checked out the SVN trunk and proceeded with a MySQL install.  After it was done I edited the configure.php file to fix the broken values.  Then login worked fine!  Going to do some more testing and will let you know how it goes.

Dave