Menu

moving servers

Help
arenaTR
2005-08-11
2013-05-01
  • arenaTR

arenaTR - 2005-08-11

Hi All!  I have ORS installed on one domain server, and I need to move it to another server on a different domain.  Can U give me some simple instructions to do so?  I wanted to approach the group before I just did it.  I know i can pretty much just re-install in the new location and install the backup files, right?

Thank you in advance for your response!

• Jeremy Shaver

Jeremy Shaver - 2005-08-11

I have done this without problem using this approach (note caveat at end)

1) on old server, use the admin account and utilities/more menu to create a backup of the current schedule.

2) install a clean ORS on the new server

3) after installation, go to utilities/more menu (as administrator) and select "restore from backup". Follow directions there (uploading backup from other system).

The one scenario which might screw this up would be if the new system is in a different time zone than the first. (Although ORS was supposed to be time-zone indifferent, it isn't anymore...) Solution to this is to use the "hidden" time zone correction feature:

Go to the "more" utiltites menu. Edit the URL changing the last part "submit=more" to be "timeshiftcorrection". This will correct any time shifts. NOTE: this feature is hidden for a reason, I just tested it and it seemed to have problems with signups which didn't start on the hour. Use ONLY if you have a time-zone difference in the servers...