Object Properties?

2006-11-09
2013-05-28
  • ted creedon

ted creedon - 2006-11-09

How does one set object properties (i.e. data type, length, reference, etc)?

Seems like the click event is flaky.

• ted creedon

ted creedon - 2006-11-09

Looks like when the Entity is instantiated and shaded with red the properties can be set, but never changed after the initial setting.

• Brian Nalewajek

Brian Nalewajek - 2006-11-09

Hi, 
        Do you mean the properties of an Object in an ORM model? If you select the object in the diagram, the properties box (tab), will allow you to see and set all the properties that apply.  I did notice (while experimenting), that while you can add and ORM model item to some types of projects in VS, you don't get all the functionallity you get when you use the proper type of project (Windows or Console).  Is this the problem?
        If you are talking about adjusting the properties of objects created in one of the files generated by the ORM Custom tool, then you need to open that file with an appropriate editor (in VS or otherwise), to make the changes you want.
        As an aside, you will need to set the datatypes and set properties like length for your ORM objects, or the DDL files you generate with the custom tool, will balk on execution in SQL Server, for example. 
        Hope it helps.  BRN..

• ted creedon

ted creedon - 2006-11-09

Thanks for the quick response.

OK. Select Object, View->Propoerties, is how you get the properties.

Can "object Properties" be added to the right click event along with all the other ORM* drop down items?

That's where I got hung up.

Thanks.

• Brian Nalewajek

Brian Nalewajek - 2006-11-09

Hi,
        Glad you got something out of the reply.  I'm not sure if you can add a context menu item (right click option), to the ORM diagram pane; but I'm not that up on customizing the VS 2005 IDE.  As there are a number of useful context items that the NORMA team has added (like adding an internal uniquness constraint to a selected role, or set of roles), It obviously can be done, but only the NORMA team could tell you if that is/will be user configuable.
        BTW, as I found out sometime ago while using the similar IDE for website development, it's easy to "loose" the properties window.  It's often tabbed with other windows, and it's often just a matter of looking behind the visible to find the missing.  The same holds true for other windows, like the Object explorer.  BRN..

• jbriggs

jbriggs - 2006-11-13

We are currently looking into adding a 'Properties' Menu Item to the context menu. There are also some other items we are considering adding to the context menu in the future. Please let us know of any suggestions. -Jaron

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks