I'm going to post my Quick and Dirty Faq in hopes that some people find it helpful. Maybe someone can add it to the wiki.
Zipit z2 Linux install guide.
Thanks to Hunter Davis!
For those following along at home, the required setup artifacts are below. You will need
* Your zipit z2
* A linux computer with an internet connection (to download the packages below) and gparted installed
* A miniSD card
Do you have everything ready? Let’s get to it!
1. Head over to http://sourceforge.net/projects/openzipit and downloaded the autoflasher
2. Download Aliosa27’s new kernel image and userland here: http://aliosa27.net/projects/zipit2/zipit2-audio+x+mouse.gz
3. Grab the latest mouse emu from here: http://aliosa27.net/projects/zipit2/z2mouseemu
4. Using Gparted, Format your miniSD to a fat16 partition (I did 300 megs but you really need much less than 100
5. Extract the autoflasher to the fat16 partition
6. (as root)Extract the kernel + userland image somewhere on your pc
7. From the extracted files, copy out the ./boot/zImage-2.6.29 to the root of your microSD as kernel.bin
8. Boot the Z2 and allow it to flash and reboot to the new Linux logo
9. This will also make a copy of your original kernel and wifi firmware, copy them off the microSD somewhere safe.
10. Using Gparted, Format the microSD into 2 new partitions, ext2 (the majority of the card) and swap (the remaining 256 megs)
11. Copy the previously extracted files and directorys from zipit2-audio+x+mouse to the root of your microSD.
12. Rename and copy the wifi firmware back to the Z2 from the backup of the miniSD, as described here
Tab is the big “Z” button at the top middle of the keyboard. Prev/Next is mapped to pageup/pagedown, and the “…” key is Control.
Left click is the stop button
To get the max volume, you can use alsamixer to increase the speaker output (last page, scroll right) but it sounds terrible past 92 or so.
The default hotkeys for fluxbox are Alt-t = terminal, Alt-m = maximize, Alt-f = fullscreen, Alt-c = close, Alt-i = minimize.
This space for Know Basic applications.
Mplayer plays media files.
ls Directory listing
cd change directory
shutdown -h now = shutdown
iwconfig eth0 essid "ssid"
ifconfig eht0 192.168.0.16 netmask 255.255.255.0
/I will correct and add mroe Info as I learn.
Zipit networking With DHCP on unprotected wireless network.
iwconfig eth0 essid "ssid" :
Few more Tips to put into the faq.
Linux wireless commands .
To scan for local access points
root@zipit2:~# iwlist eth0 scanning | grep 'ESSID'
To connect to an access point
root@zipit2:~# iwconfig eth0 essid "name"
To run dhcp
That should get you online as long as your not running wpa
I found that the easiest way to get wireless was:
iwconfig eth0 essid ESSID - ESSID is the essid of the network you want to join. Then run udhcpc.
So a script would look like this:
iwconfig eth0 essid My_Network;
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.